Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Independence Day!!!

I figured I had unfinished business at Decker. The weather forecast was favorable for making the long run to the home of the giants. I launched first, is there any other way? I included a pic of what that looks like. Check-in Charlie came down from the gate to make sure I’m following the hand-written warning that was taped to the sign on the guard shack window.

I sailed clear of the ramp and settled in for the hour long transit. As I passed by good spots, where I’ve caught good fish, I resisted the urge to slow and make a cast. I assumed the dawn patrol would soon overtake me. Except, maybe they heeded the sign at the kiosk, the one that forbade ALL motorized watercraft (having a brain is not a pre-requisite for municipal employment. Yesterday a yakker told me he called the city and got the OK to run a Torqueedo.) I hoped my head start would pay dividends.

I savored the early cruise. I watched fireworks exploding in the sky to the north launched by patriotic all night revelers. I marveled at the red, white and blue reflection of the Decker power plant on the slick water. I’m hoping I can repeat Todd and mine’s day from yesterday. I fiddled with tackle and checked the Fake Radar. Anticipation, Patience. Excitement. Discipline.

The home of the giants. Time to start knocking to see if anybody’s home. Stand up and cast senko. Immediately a sunfish picked it up and ran six feet before I yanked the senko out of its mouth. I caught a three-pounder a couple casts later, alright, alright, alright! I made the rounds and got lots of bites including two more three-pounders.

The lake was eerily quiet, but in a good way. I could hear the clatter of dragonfly wings as a mating couple performed an aerial ballet/dog-fight. I circled around and crept in the front door of the lagoon without bothering to knock. I cast the senko to the reeds. It took a couple seconds to drop down and then it got thumped. I r’ared back and got good weight and then my drag was slippin’! The tub exploded out of the water. I was elated, I’d found a giant in his house! He ran under the boat, wrapped my line around a hydrilla stem, pulled free and slammed the door right in my face, doh!

I was let down, but the sting wasn’t all that bad. I’d made the long trek and proved it was worth it. I fished my way back to the ramp and caught a couple of bream on the way. Not many anglers on the lake today, they must have stayed up all night poppin’ crackers. The weather was so good, a couple of light showers and no wind. I did not deploy my anchor at any time. Hybrids are busting, bait is everywhere. I lost at least ten senkos to greedy bream. Another really fun day at the mud hole. Can’t wait to return to the home of the giants!
5ACE7A4F-BAFD-4458-95C2-2D92A2C811E3.jpeg
53CC4FF8-450A-4633-B70C-C2C85A67F798.jpeg
7E741B5F-F6FB-4A23-A040-F21BFF825434.jpeg
E89E4529-5284-4822-9128-A59B0934D6C1.jpeg
D7E72EEF-2FBB-4E39-AEF9-9822DE0555B2.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was VERY surprised that there were maybe ten anglers on the lake besides me. Around 9am a bass boat came in to the cove, fished for ten minutes, and motored on. The shoreline was well represented with picnickers and pop-ups. Perhaps they bought all the passes?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Perfect report as usual Jeremy. Thought I would help your 4th of July post
Fake Radar. Eagerness, Excitement. Discipline, Optimism, Magic

1 - 4 of 4 Posts