Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We weekend anglers are chompin’ at the bit. We arrived at Decker zero-dark-thirty. The park ranger marked our pass and we entered into Austin’s bass nirvana. The ride out was ice cream smooth. We ran moon lit glass, savoring the anticipation.

Last night, I tuned up my topwater rig. I‘d missed too many the last couple trips on the SSJr that was tied on. I jabbed my finger with the Spook’s trebles points and no blood. As I considered replacing the trebles, I glanced around my workbench and saw the brand-new Chug Bug still in the package hanging from a pushpin. It’s been there for about six months and what I am waiting for. I tied that sucker on, Palomar style.

Todd coasted the Stratos into the cove and dropped the troller. I grabbed Chatterbait because I figured it was still too dark for topwater and cast out. Todd cast out buzz-bait and I heard the clatter of blades and then the sound of a giant toilet flush. Todd’s line was slack and his braid had wrapped the tip. I dropped the Chatterbait, spun around and whizzed the Chug Bug past Todd to the swirl. Chug, chug, TUG and a nice 4lb-3oz stud plugged the Bug. I thanked Todd for the locating service. I caught five more good’uns without any misses. Man, I love the Chug Bug and sharp hooks. The moonset ended the surface activity.

We moved a little deeper and I got a couple on homemade hand pour dropshot baits. Todd worked his wacky senko and we were both boating solid slot fish. We anchored next to healthy hydrilla and caught fish on Baby Brush Hogs and Roboworms. We ran to the dam but struck out at the rip-rap. We ran back to the first cove, all the other boats had left. We caught more on Senko and to bookend a fabulous day, I caught a nice fish on my Chatterbait. Off at 1pm.
E1DD77E0-4D4A-46DD-A5F6-4F734F4FE28E.jpeg 6771065E-10F2-4C9E-98FA-5C878CD25635.jpeg 954299A0-B9C3-4412-B102-D7A04F8163E1.jpeg 5AD15E5A-73C2-46C9-8BA5-0FC13107F6FC.jpeg

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice report! Good lookin' bait. Do you pour those?
Thanks! Glad you liked the report.

I did not make the drop-shot baits. They were given to me by the craftsman that made them. He is a first-rate stick. He helped me learn to fish the drop-shot technique effectively He does not use salt in the 6” worms so they float. If he sees me on the water, he’ll probably share them with me if he has extra.
6071DC9D-1FC1-4283-AA32-DDD3D4F69355.jpeg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts