Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We launched first, as usual, while a yakker rigged his yak and an angler with a center console was gathering bait with a cast net. We frittered away the pre-dawn hour along the shoreline where I caught a six-pounder last weekend. Todd hooked a gnarly gar with his popper. We needed a change, so we stowed the troller and ran to the home of the giants.

We tried topwaters again, but quickly abandoned that and went to our go to: senko. Todd’s senko was slurped and then the water exploded. I was preoccupied picking a backlash, so Todd reached down for the fish. He exclaimed, “Look at the maw on this one!” as he pulled her from the water. The bucket mouth belied the spawned out skinniness. We put her on the scale and she went 5lb 7oz, a big’un for sure, but with the head of an eight pounder.

We caught four in a row from the home of the skinnies. The spell was broken on an apparent double. As we sorted the salad, it seems Todd’s end of the double had given him the slip, doh! I removed a grass shroud and found a fat Decker fun fish. I chided Todd on his loss.

Todd stuck with senko and I switched to fluke and got a fat three pounder. As it turns out, the home of the fatties is right next door to the home of the skinnies. We were both catching chunky monkeys and I was edging ahead in the fish count with sheer luck (or maybe I was using the right color senko!) Our bites were dwindling as we moved west, so we U-turned and went back. I like the old adage, “You don’t leave fish to find fish.”

We went back into a hydrilla patch and started up the outside edge. This was the same hydrilla that was good to us a couple weekends ago. In my report from that day, I said I was hoping for a hydrilla gorilla but settled for a fun fish. This time I got a six pound gorilla. I bombed out a 1/4 oz Texas-rigged Junebug Ol’ Monster into the grass. The worm got et and I swept the line, but I was a ways out and was unsure of the hook set. She jumped and I got anxious and started hollerin’. I asked for an assist from Todd. He lipped the fish and the hook fell out. This is my second weekend in a row with a six-pounder from this lake. Thanks for the sure hands, Todd!

We worked every inch of that cove until we were satisfied. I caught a couple of sunfish on drop-shot. The catch rate slowed dramatically. We ran to fish new water, but the morning was about gone and the bite with it. On days like this, we’ll declare “bonus time”, which means a fifteen minute extension after a catch to reset the bonus time. I caught my last fish at high noon and we were at the ramp twenty minutes later.

Another fantastic day at Decker. We couldn’t have asked for nicer weather. The water level is slowly dropping and the hydrilla is beginning to top out. Bait is everywhere. Can’t wait to get back.
0D4AA35A-542A-4258-BF8C-5F301DD3842C.jpeg
A0018F2C-4DB8-4E54-85AE-EACF2D78491A.jpeg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow! Three of us were skunked on 6/26, not even a bump and no top water activity whatsoever. We primarily fished the discharge side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts