Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we were fishing close to home, we agreed to meet thirty minutes later than usual. Did either of us use the time to sleep? Are you kidding? We’re weekend anglers. We sleep at work. I only had to make a few adjustments from yesterday’s set-up, fresh mono for SSJr and retie everything else.

We timed the launch perfectly with safe light. Foregoing nav lights, we blasted off with tunnel vision towards the honey hole. We were the first on station and it looked good. I cast out SSJr and just like yesterday at Stillhouse, it got blown up and missed by a big fish. I couldn’t coax any more strikes on top, so I settled into Chatterbaiting.

Predictably, we were soon joined by two more boats, the same boaters who were here for last weekend’s epic catches. Alphonso moved to the very back, but the water back there was way to murky for our use. The other boater positioned In the middle at the lower end of the flat, so we worked the reeds on either side. Todd was peppering the reeds with senko and I paralleled the shoreline with Chatterbait. Alphonso idled out on his way to his next spot and we wished him luck.

I’d been hoping for a senko kind of day but ironically it turned into a Chatterbait kind of day. We bounced around, trying this and that. Usually by mid morning, I’ll have five to six rods hanging off the stern and one in hand. Todd will have MAYBE two rods on his front deck. I stole a glance at the front deck and chuckled. He had eight rods out of the rod box to my seven. He’s alright. He’d caught fish on most of them.

The reality was, it wasn’t a senko kind of day, so we junk fished to our satisfaction and wound up having a good day. The top lures were my Chatterbait and Texas-rigged BBH. We caught up with Alphonso while draining and wiping down the boats (watch out for the fire ants). He showed me a pic of a five pounder he caught on a custom ~2.5 squarebill. The COA day pass policy had the benefit of banishing “water-fleas” to outside the gate. Anglers were hip to the game and showed up in force. Having two ramps open makes the whole deal go down easier. I do love this mud hole full of green fish.
254BFFA8-2D60-4542-AEF4-EA33BA136804.jpeg
AF7FBFAB-7D39-44BB-B3CD-E8EF69F3A5E6.jpeg

·
Registered
315 Posts
I carry 24 rods in my boat, all technique specific. Normally we can figure out a pattern pretty quick and I am willing to stick out a pattern for most of the day.

Today I had on the deck: buzz bait, wacky senko, texas rig baby brush hog, paddle tail swim bait, chatterbait, drop shot, neg rig, and lipless crankbait. I caught on everything but buzz and neg rig.

Which is crazy because when Jeremy started kicking my butt with that damn chatterbait I figured neg rig would at least catch a handful of smalls and put me back in the running. But not today.I threw that thing into the wind for over 400 yards of shoreline. Only thing I got was a couple perch nibbles.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My seven were: wacky senko, split-shot texposed senko, TR, SSJr, Chatterbait, lipless, drop-shot.

I got strikes on everything but lipless. Lucky for me it wasn’t a “he asked for it...” kind of day. I’m really looking forward to our next trip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts