Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of those reports you really don't want to post... I suck. I really need to learn how to chase these Green Trout.

Sat - hit Decker, with a buddy who is just starting to get back into fishing. Spent most of the day, watching fish eat off the back end of my Senkos. I oculdn't get them to bit anything else (tried everything from tiny grugs to frogs and evemn a huge swimbait), and they wouldn't hit the Senko, unless it was unencumbered in the back (ie, med Texas-rigger hook = 1/2 Senko eaten). Did manage a few dinks, bigest was just under 18").

Sun - Hit Bastrop, wih my frined and his wife. Pretty much the same story... biggest was aorund 19". I sucked.

We saw fish being caght all around us, but most were very small. Next weekend, I'll make up for it. Dang fish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't feel bad. We fished Decker Sunday and except for some schooling whites and one big pig, I got shut out the rest of the day. My buddy caught 5 LM but nothing of size. I'm just glad I found big mama or the day would have been disappointing to say the least.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, don't let my numbers dissuade anyone... I suck at LM fishing. Frankly, I've never really targeted them. I grew up fishing Louisiana inshore, where "green trout" were mainly by-catch, at least in my family. I've done mainly reef and offshore, since then. So, I suck at bass. But I am intent on getting it down.

I've got some buddies who are a pretty good breadwinning tournament guys, on the Sacramento delta. We just chatted, and they schooled me on the bed bite. Looking back at all my misses, and my few wins, I think that's where I was going wrong - I assumed they were in aggressive feeding mode.

Anyhow, eager to get this stuff right. And, frankly, excited to be on a steep learning curve, even if it is for our coyntry's most popular sportfish.

The weekend was made more "challenging" by my buddy and his wife (beginning live-bait inshore fishermen) continually whining about how much better that fishery was, and how boring bass is.

They just didn't get how, the worse the fishing got, the more reluctant I was to pull the plug. And the more I got into trying new things. Hot or cold, I'm always that "one more cast" guy. It's not because I'm once of those uberly-competitive "there is no 2nd place" types, it's because I like to fish - even if I'm not catching, I'm having a blast trying. And that's why I have my own boat. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.