Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loaded the truck and glanced at the KXAN Fake Radar. A storm cell was lumbering across west Texas. I extrapolated its arrival to be in two to three hours. I pulled into the dawn patrol line at the closed Decker gate. The gate opened at 5:45 AM and we filed in. A yak and two bass boats launched while I rigged out the Pond Prowler. I hoisted a lantern and trolled across.

After a twenty minute transit, I made my first casts in the pre-dawn darkness. I was getting bit right away, the fish were in a biting mood. The sky lightened and I worked the reeds with a senko. I caught seven mean fish. The pictured fish was the smallest but had the prettiest markings. Around 8 AM, I heard thunder and pulled up the radar, OMG! Time to head to the ramp.

Like the lyric from “Wreck of the Fitzgerald”, the minutes turned into hours as bass boat after bass boat passed me on their way back to the ramp. Thick bolts were pounding the earth to the south and west and I grabbed the e-paddle to supplement the troller. Off at 8:30 AM.
A0E685D3-6100-49C5-A68E-B8A1450A4BC2.jpeg

·
Registered
132 Posts
I waited it out as long as I could stand. Went out after the first wave of rain and lightning passed. even though the radar showed just one more patch it rained constantly for 4 hours...only quit as I loaded up. miserable day, but still beats working

·
Registered
490 Posts
Loved the reference to the Edmond Fitzgerald. Knew immediately what you were referring to. And beautiful markings on that bass.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We got caught on it too, and got the heck out of Dodge. Aluminum boats and lighting don't play together well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts