Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit up the big D with RWNitro this morn. Started pitching wacky worms at the reeds and within five casts I had a solid fish on that was walking me around the boat. Came unbuttoned before I ever saw it. A few minutes later Dunny caught a huge Perch on a wacky. I started throwing a Sammy and got a nice lil keeper right of the bat. Next cast resulted in me breaking 30lb braid on a reed. We went in and got my lure and we were motoring out when the braid hanging off my rod tip got caught in the prop and my rod and reel went flying off the back of the boat and the line snapped in mid air and it landed about 15ft from the boat. It was gone before I had time to react. ??? After a 20 minute attempted recovery session I cut my losses and continued fishing. The wind started picking up considerably and we went for sheltered land which was the point where the hot and cold sides meet across from the dam. Dunny hung a white on CB so we pitched to that area for a while with no success. We got tired and began to motor away when the fish finder went nuts. There were fish every where. So I grabbed a slab and dropped it boat side. Immediatly I had a nice Hybrid on. I got it to the side of the boat and it too came unbuttoned. Dunny finally caught one small hybrid and that was the last of that. Somehow the trolling motor blew a fuse and when it did the ends of the fuse fused to the plastic fuse enclosure making it impossible to fix. We still had fun today despite our obvious problems. Ended the day with a pound of cutters at Rudys and two beers! ;D So please if you catch a blue Okuma spinning reel on a 6'6" Compre rod please return it to me, there is a reward! 8)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Sorry to hear about your R/R Travis. It can sure be a bummer when something flies over board and swims to the bottom. I made a couple of tools to use for rod and reel recovery. I have only successfully rescued about half of what I have lost, but I guess that’s better than no recovery at all. First thing I do when a rod goes over board is hit my GPS man over board key. It locks in the location. Then I can go back to my truck and get the tools out my tool box to use. This is another reason why I try to keep my rod and reels around $250.00 to $300.00 max, because they all sink to the bottom when they fly over board no matter what they cost. And they make this horrible cha ching sound as they disappear into the depths.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Man that sure sucks. I fished that area for a bit in the evening and I may get back to Decker on Sunday. If I come across it i'll be sure to let you know.

As for the fishing it wasn't that great. One dink on my second cast which I though was a good sign but that was it for the day. I was there from about 4:30-7:00. I even convinced the wife to go with me (first time she's been on the boat). Even said she might be up for going with me on Sunday. Haven't told her yet that I wanna be there at 7:30am though!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Juke, I know where you are talking about. I always pull fish out of the area.
If I happen to come across it I will make sure it gets back home.
I am going out there Monday or Tuesday unless I try my luck on Granger.

·
Registered
69 Posts
BIL Re: Decker 4/11

Here's one for you about losing a kit into the water. My Bro-in-law and a friend were fishing Lake Travis on Cow Creek from the bank. Fishing for carp with the kids, using Corn Flakes mixed with Big Red for bait. If you've never tried it, you should, because carp jump all over it. Anyway, BIL had his line out and carp comes and hits it and takes the line and pole and reel into the water. About 15 minutes later, his friend gets a tap on his line. He sets the hook and reels it in. Ended up that the BIL pole that went into the water got hooked onto his bait. The fish that pulled the rod and reel into the water had pulled the rod into the hook of the friends line. He reeled it in and recovered the rod, reel and fish. Unbelieveable. He then went and bought a lottery ticket and didn't win.

;D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Headriller, thats crazy but not suprised. I love fishing Marble Falls Lbj Lake. Some HUGE carp, best bait ever is the Hearty Start flakes crushed with Big Red, the key is dont get any other brand of cereal or any other drink by the real stuff and it will not let you down, roll it in a ball put a small amt of it on the trebile hook and what ever you do < DO NOT TURN YOUR HEAD FROM YOUR ROD...if you do say GOOD BYE...

·
Registered
7 Posts
my 10 yr old daughter went with me out there and in about 5 minutes time lost her scooby pole she referred to as the scooby slayer. she cast out pole and all, bopped her right in the chin and straight down she went. it was freakin funny, happened so fast she didnt know what to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.