Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a vacation day today and headed to Decker around 7:45.  Only 3 trailers in the lot when i got there.  Air temp was 47F, water temp about 55F, wind about 6mph from the south.  Headed to the discharge side since I knew the wind would pick up mid morning but I could always come back and fish a few spots on the intake side away from the wind.  Started with some cranks in <8 fow and worked my way to the back of one of the coves.  About 45 mins in nothing doing, so I went to a brighter coloured crank since it was a bit more overcast from when I started.  I'm in < 6 fow now and tring to work the crank near the bottom.  Second cast with the new crank and I get hung up and for a millisecond I'm pissed until whatever I was hung up on started peeling of line :)  Set the hook and the next 2 mins or so was quite intersting on a 6ft rod with 10 lb mono.  I tightened the drag very slightly a few times but at one point I was in deeper water and the fish went right under the boat, bent the rod in half, had me scrambling and then came up.  When I saw it I eased off the drag because there was no way I could horse the fish around on this tackle.  Got it right alongside the boat, positioned the net right and she made a run straight into the net  ;D

Couldn't take decent pics by myself and she was too big for my scale (need to get a proper scale) I put her in the net and dropped her in the water for a bit then sped over to the closest boat I could see.  Guy probably thought I was crazy but then he saw the net in my hand and realized what was going on.  Pics and scale were courtesy Brian (Is-that-a-bass).  Thanks again Brian.   Weighed between 8lbs 3-4 oz and was about 23 inches long.  Caguth a couple dinks later but after that point anything else was a bonus and make taking the day off totally worth it. Btw, the fish at Decker approve of reggae music !

· Registered
157 Posts
The fish looked bigger in person,,, I think you should fire your photographer. It was great talking with you out there. That is really an awesome fish. When we talked, I told you that I had a 3.5 and a 3. I ended up with 11 total, but those were my two biggest. I talked to a guy at the ramp that said he caught a 6-10. Nice day on the water. Water heated up to almost 62 by noon. Congrats again on that great fish!

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The photographer took much better pics than I would've gotten on my own. I'm glad there was a boat close by. I've got to learn to catch numbers but if I'm only catching a few and they're like these I won't complain!

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That was definitely a good day on the water.  The strange thing is, couple years ago when I just got my boat I caught a fish just about that size in that same spot on the same lure [smiley=shocked.gif]  Lighter tackle this time though.  I even checked to see if it was the same fish, the first one had a cloudy/damaged eye but both eyes in this one was fine.  

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.