Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaded my winter coat along with my tackle into Todd’s Stratos. We launched first, because...that’s right: If you’re not first, you’re last. Waves were breaking over the stern of the Stratos as I backed Todd down the ramp. We ran hard into the frontal wind with nav lights on. Todd declared, “It’s getting downright nautical.”

He asked if I wanted to start at the point. I nodded in the affirmative. The full moon was behind storm clouds and lightening flashed in the southern sky. I’m a weekend angler, so I am compelled to fish every weekend, even the windy ones. I climbed on to the back deck and made a cast. Then it got windier.

White caps were rolling around the point. I was fishing my Texas Rig, casting inside and outside, throwing it into the hydrilla and the current seam. I had tuned up my TR for this weekend: new 15 pound Seaguar Abrazx, Lazer bobber stop, 1/4 oz watermelon H2O tungsten worm weight and Gamakatsu 5/0 EWG thin wire hook, all tied together with a down-on-the-farm knot. I suggested to Todd that we pull around the corner into the slackwater.

Todd knows that if you want to catch fish, you go to the windiest part of the lake. We fished the wind blown point for fifteen more minutes, and only hauled water. He asked if I was ready to work into the cove. I reiterated my earlier suggestion to escape the hella wind and pull around the corner.

We rounded the point into the lee. I pulled off the 12” Kreit tail worm and threaded on an old retread beaver. I cast tight to the reeds and let it settle. I started to reel it back and my rod bent under heavy weight. I was cranking the reel against hammer-tight drag but the spool wasn’t turning. Good Lord, I got a GIANT! The fish came up and shook her maw. Todd dropped his rod and asked what I was throwing so he could boat the fish. He jumped in the cockpit, reached over and wrestled her aboard. I was stoked. I do love a cold front!

That was the only bite I got today. An hour later, Todd shook off the skunk and boated a respectable good’un on his beaver. Two men, five hours, two bites. Nothing on drop-shot, shakey head, senko, swimbait or chatterbait. Where did all the male fish go? Can’t wait to get back!
A835F0F1-0B97-40DE-B5FB-4001F21AE4AC.jpeg
5695EDB8-A819-47CF-9B7D-BE0F23F2B4B7.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The scale said 8 pounds 2 ounces. I beat my Decker PB from two weeks ago by 15 ounces.

1F0D476A-A784-49F9-8D9E-A9019CB013DA.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At first glance I guessed 8-7. When the scale said 8-2, I said, “I guess she laid 5 ounces of eggs!”

1 - 6 of 6 Posts