Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Todd text me to meet him at his house at 5 A.M. I called him and asked, “Are you sure? 5 A.M. Daylight Time?” With the time agreed upon, we met and hauled down the SH to the hallowed waters of Walter E. Long Lake. I was not surprised to see the gate open when we rolled up. Todd waved the on-line reservation paper at the AE guy and we eased into the parking lot.

“If your not first you’re last”, stated Todd. We had beaten the dawn and the dawn patrol by several hours. Todd readied the boat and we put in first. A yakker and a boater early birds launched right after us. As we ran Todd asked me where I wanted to start. I pointed and hollered over the Vmax, “The main lake point!”

I like starting early, but I do not like fishing in the dark. We were going to patiently fish the point until dawn broke. I was dragging a beaver through the dormant ‘drilla when Todd said urgently, “Jeremy!” I looked up front and saw Todd’s bent rod. The rod popped vertical and the line went slack. “He broke me off! He took drag and then broke my line.”

I knew the feeling from last week, when I fumbled a big’un boatside and snapped the line. While Todd retied, I boated a slot on the beaver. He cast out and his rod bent over. I shined my light in the water and saw stripes. Todd lipped a nice three pound striper. I said I thought it unusual to catch a hybrid on drop-shot. Todd said that that was his first hybrid at Decker. That was fun but wrong species of course.

My WW senko got thumped and let go but I whiffed the hook set just to make sure. Todd’s rod bent again and I heard the drag. I watched the big largemouth tail-walk towards Todd and spit the worm. I blamed the darkness, but Todd didn’t want excuses, he wanted that fish! The rain let up and the sky lightened. I suggested we work into the cove.

A large carp floundered on the surface. Three other carp were attempting to upright the belly up carp. Todd reached down to grapple the carp. I cast over his head and landed fifty or so feet in front of the boat. As soon as the weight touched bottom, the drop shot worm was struck and I reel set. Oh, this is a better fish! I got intense, my focus on boating this fish. Todd coached me and I brought her to hand. Not a flawless landing, but I got her! I felt a great redemption from last week’s disaster. I whooped and we weighed her: seven pounds three ounces, my PB for Decker.

In the next hour, Todd showed why he is the master with the senko, catching a string of fun fish. We came upon a reed stretch where the bass were going bezerk, launching through the reeds and kicking rooster tails. We both cast to the commotion and doubled up. I got a small drop-shot fish and Todd landed a beat-up four pound three ounce fish with his senko.

After that the bite slowed for us. I got a strike on chatterbait but did not hook-up. We went back out to the mainlake. Now it was my turn to run a string of fish. I was drop-shotting the outside edge and caught a three thirteen and a couple of fun fish. I commented that I should probably retie in case I hooked another big’un. Shoulda woulda coulda! My rod bent and big’un jumped. My drag played out line, this fish is strong. I played her in and she swam under the boat. She saw the reeds and was going in taking more drag. I thought I had her turned when SNAP! We lost three big bass today. Crazy.

We saw another frenzy in the reeds at the point, fish going bezerk. I pitched a drop shot in tight and was rewarded with a strike. Another strong fish taking drag, but whoops, wrong species. Another three pound hybrid! A couple cast later, my line went tight. I reeled and a twenty inch gar jumped off the hook he’d fouled. Todd caught another four pound largemouth on drop shot. Today was not a numbers day. But we hooked into some quality largemouth.
2733346E-9B5A-4C5C-BC48-18D1D7741C95.jpeg
536DF28C-FAC2-4D48-A6F7-969953BB6E10.jpeg
939B215B-F814-4C08-B513-BE1A21A990CD.jpeg

·
Registered
132 Posts
don't feel bad. my cousin went this weekend and said he lost a 7+ at the boat. he's not much on exaggeration so i take him at his word. sounds like an epidemic (not a pandemic, though)
sounds like y'all had a blast. too bad i just dont have time to get out lately!

·
Registered
6 Posts
As always very nice report and well we already know that another day fishing for you would be a once in a life time for me and others. but ever once in awhile I get lucky and Monday of this week was one of those days. Have no idea how big never really care just obsessed with catching them but this girl was decent along with a dozen others close to this one. Caught 6 of them from dock and bank before I put boat in and you would be surprised what you can catch standing on the boat dock.The reason that I did not put boat in was the wind and I was hoping the wind would lay down but it got worse however I was so fired up I would have floated on a log to get out there and it paid off .. Lake Pfugerville...

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts