Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We launched at 6AM and headed left towards the intake. We started at a mainlake shoreline. I got struck first on Rat-L-Trap. Todd put a nice one in the boat with DT-10. We skipped the cove and at the next mainlake shoreline I caught a fish on a minnow lure.

Dawn broke crimson with clouds and cool south breeze. We decided to run our favorite stretch. The run around the penisula was sublime. Boats were scattered along the stretch. Todd ducked into the cove and dropped into the rocking chair at a steeply dropping shoreline. We had fished this drop-off with drop-shot a couple weeks ago at my request and blanked. This time, I was getting bit on drop-shot. I got a four pounder and a couple threes. Oh, man was that sweet.

Todd asked if I wanted to move to the outside edge or run along the reeds. I grunted and gestured down the shoreline. He set the heading lock. Then, as Todd reached down for his senko rod, I heard him mutter, "He asked for it."

I guess I did because Todd opened the whole can of whoop ass. Barely a couple hundred feet down the reeds, reeds that had already been picked over by a yak and several bass boats, I heard him set the hook accompanied by the tell-tale squeal of a spool giving way from underneath a hammer-tight drag. I jumped into the driver's seat and lipped Todd's bucket-mouth. I handed off the fish, bumped fists and zeroed the scale. Todd weighed and announced 6 pounds 10 ounces. Right on!

Maybe ten casts and a couple fish later, he backed up his big fish day with a stout five pounder. We motored around to run it again. This time, the troller maintained heading lock at a pace perfect for me to drop-shot off the stern. I put together a good run of four sequential catches. Todd was alternating between drop-shot and senko and we were lighting them up.

We boated somewhere around fifty. Our best five went 21-14. Off at 3PM. Can't wait to get back.
IMG_20200222_111235040.jpg
IMG_20200222_105837480.jpg

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great Report!!!
Thanks, ghphotography! I look forward to your reports from Travis.

Scrolling back thru my phone, I saw the pic I took of Todd's first fish from our trip that day. I wrote in the OP, "Todd put a nice one in the boat with DT-10."

I forgot to count that "nice one" (4-2) in with our best five, so toss one of mine back and that puts our total a couple ounces over 22 pounds!
IMG_20200222_064816648.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts