Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Todd told me that the city has suspended the on-line day-pass reservation requirement as he hit up the gate kiosk at 6am. Even with our later than usual start, we launched first, because if you’re not first, well, y’all know. The morning ride, always sublime, smooth as glass except for the occasional thump from a coot strike on the hull. Not foggy, not raining, not cold; just perfect.

We went to our usual starting spot. I caught a few and Todd fell behind in the count. The bass were relatively disinterested in our lures, to say the least. Todd fired up the big motor and we ran to a favorite main lake shoreline. We cast out, our senkos splashing down within inches of each other. Todd’s line swam left while my line swam right, a double! We reached the end of the stretch. I asked Todd to try an outside hydrilla edge.

We edged up to the mat. What transpired next is pure existentialism. Ten feet outside the mat, a largemouth pursued her quarry to the surface. She broached fully, a seven pounder with a bucketmouth wrapped around a giant sunfish. Todd immediately cast senko at the wake and his rod bent. He was reeling in a fish on plane, not the largemouth, but the quarry!

I looked at the motionless fish, a near keeper crappie. Todd at first thought it was dead, but then realized the crappie had been stunned by the vicious bass attack. Todd had fouled hooked the crappie in the eye and pulled dinner right from the bass’ bucket mouth! Very freakin’ cool! We spent the next half hour trying to catch the big bass. Todd got a couple blow-ups on buzzbait and I caught a cutie-pie on a crankbait. We drifted down the shoreline.

It was noon and our day wasn’t going as hoped. We checked out the dam and then ran to the cove by the Expo. Then Todd made an “adjustment.” Paul calls me the bass whisperer, but there are two bass whisperers in this boat today. I was throwing my crankbait along the outside edge. I noticed Todd was popping his lure when he got bit. What? Then he got two more on the next three casts.

I jumped up on the front deck with him and copied his moves. BAM, fish on! We’d found a little off-shore hard spot. It felt like a ten foot square area of chunk rock in about twelve feet of water. The sweetspot was twenty foot off the port bow. We’d cast out Baby Brush Hogs over the spot and drag in. Once we felt the rock, we’d pause and shake. We caught ten from this spot in under an hour, salvaging our day! We caught seventeen total, an even mix of fun-fish and cutie-pies. Water level is still low, temp was at 69°F and the parking lot was full of trailers. Awesome day! Can’t wait to get back (and catch that seven)!
C6F4CE06-E9E1-43C3-9886-FC91871F4FD0.jpeg E4072E7A-B348-4743-83D6-F6DA5012B15D.jpeg

·
Registered
326 Posts
We actually thought about hooking that crappie back up and throwing it out. However the look in that poor things eyes and I just couldn't throw it back to the wolf. I saved it by hooking it in it's eye socket and figured it was it's lucky day.

Maybe one day I will catch it again, when it is bigger, and then I can eat it myself. LOL

·
Registered
280 Posts
OK sorry - you actually made me laugh out loud there. "the look in that poor things eyes" - all I could think of was that one of them had a hook in it so I bet it looked funny. Just rescued from being dinner by having a hook run through its eye then hanging out of the water looking at the two of you pondering if you should send it back to the bass with another hook. Poor thing will need counseling soon.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that was the whitest black crappie I’ve ever seen. We thought rigor was setting in, little guy was laying flat as a pancake in Todd’s outstretched hand. Todd detected life in the little feller when it’s pectoral fin started swirling around. Todd said, “It’s alive!” and I think the crappie had a flashback, because he gave a hard flop and half-gainered over the side and into the water.

We all should take a lesson here, that to match the hatch at this lake, your lure doesn’t need to look like a crawdad or a shad. Your bait needs to look like a black crappie. Same thing happened here last year. In that case, the bass lived but the crappie died.
625CB596-3D39-4048-8F74-154AF94980B0.jpeg 6EF5D284-889E-4ADC-B441-841E36AE42CD.jpeg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts