Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Todd and I arrived at the lake 6am, paid at the unattended kiosk and got in line for the ramp. Todd searched for his boat key and realized he’d left it at the house. We went back to his house and located the key. We hauled back to Decker. We came thru the gate at 7am. There were no trailers in the lot. The other boats had left. So, we launched first. Even with the detour.

Once on the water, we realized why we were first. The cold front didn’t shut ‘em down, but it didn’t exactly stir ‘em up. We made the rounds and boated a few. This lake doesn’t offer much protection from NE wind. Todd got one on a spinnerbait, but I could not get bit on chatterbait. We resorted to pegged TR BBH and put six fish in the boat. Weekend anglers have to fish the weekend. I’m sure the rest of the week will be awesome for you full-time anglers. Off at noon.
836649E2-2208-4C31-A519-3106FD1DE9D4.jpeg BD3221B1-77A2-43F9-B29E-3E673B34C479.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all, New to this forum and to fishing really. Been hitting it every weekend for 3 months. Where is the "Decker" I keep reading about located? I have never caught a largemouth bass. I am looking at getting a Pelican bass raider 10e for my wife and I or my 10 y/o and I to hopefully catch more fish. I have told myself that I will not get a small boat until I have caught a Bass from the bank. Any help would be much appreciated. My standard go to setups are the Texas rig with a crawl or fake worm. Top to mid I use a small frog. I just got some Senko's but haven't had a chance to use them yet. I also use top spinners. We found this beautiful secluded spot up north of Taylor but didn't have a single bite. I am getting very frustrated.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Griifin, "Decker" is out by the Expo Center, and is otherwise known as Walter E. Long. A good plastic boat, or even a Jon boat that you can rig out can be great fishing machines. OR you can go full on and get a kayak.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
“What size weight do you use on the BBH?”

The last couple months I’ve been using this “3/16” oz watermelon boat-tail tungsten. I don’t believe the package markings, so I check the mass on a food portion scale. This one is like .18 or .21 depending on how I set it on the scale. Supposed to be 0.18 right?

I like the “3/16” tungstens. Combined with 15# flouro, it seems to float the BBH above or thru the (moss, angel-hair, snot) filamentous algae and not collect too much of it.

In yesterday’s honking wind, I used a pegged black 1/4 oz tungsten bullet worm weight and #12 for a quicker fall.
E63E4692-EAA5-4ACC-A07A-8C107F12268E.jpeg

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
when i first started out i fished georgetown from my boat and didnt catch a thing for 3 months! but i just loved being on the water! after that i got fishing figured out, and am now considered an expert. you believe me, doncha?
fishing is torture. golf is torture. i just spent 11 hours driving around the coast to look at 2 boats at a dealer. they sold em last week and didnt take down the ads..i DID see one boat that was advertised at another dealer. you'd think they'd have detailed it before putting a 'for sale' sign on it. it looked scary...going back friday for a private party deal on a boat i want. i also stopped at coastline trailers in case i decide to keep my current boat.
it's always something...and it never ends...
i just needed to vent, lol

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
“Is this "Decker" public fishing?”

Decker Lake ( AKA Walter E. Long ) is public water. A state issued fishing license is required here. Last summer we were license checked a couple times by GW (Game Warden.)

There is an entry fee payable to the City of Austin at the gate for Decker Lake. Sometimes you have to purchase it on-line due to the pandemic.

I have fished public water exclusively for the last twenty-five years. The last private water I fished were some tanks on the Cam Dowell Ranch. My late ex-father-in-law was Ranch Manager of this spread located between Lake Fork and Lake Tawakoni near Point, Texas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts