Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out to Decker a few minutes after 8 today.  It was a lil chilly even (55F), water temps were 73-75 and barely any wind.  Fished the back side of the lake for about an hour and a half and only managed 2 dinks.  As it got a lil warmer tried jigging a spoon on some fish I located deep.  No such luck but i started noticing fish a lil shallower 15-25 ft so i decided to give a DD22 a try.  After a few minutes trolling I felt something tap the lure very lightly I even thought it might have been debris but then I felt it again and set the hook.  I'd brought an 8ft saltwater rod with 25lb line just for the DD22 and the drag just went peeling off so I tightened as much as I dared and eventually got the fish to surface and it half jumps out of the water about 40-50 yds behind the boat.  All I see is the white side of something huge.  At this point I'm thinking this is one huge hybrid (still haven't caught one).  Well I battle with the fish for a few minutes and finally get him up close and again all I see is this really wide white thing in the water .. i almost thought it was the underside of a huge turtle.  Not a turtle though but one huge carp .... or at least what I think is a carp (never caught one of those before either).  This thing was well over 2 feet maybe close to 3 and it sure was fat.  I caught an 8lb LMB earlier this year but this thing was huge.  If I had to guess I'd say it was easy 25-30 lbs.  There was no way it was gonna fit in my net and there was a good chance of me falling over or tipping the boat and i wasn't going to eat it so I just got my DD22 back while it was in the water and let it swim off.  My only regret was that I was alone and couldn't get a pic :-/.  had my phone but this took all my attention without trying to get a pic.  I took the phone out but I was having to much trouble and just gave up.  The fish was almost white in color or very light yellow.  Wouldn't mind catching a few more of those!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think txlunkerhunter might be right. I googled a few pics of the buffalo and it seemed to match. although i'll admit at first glance it looks like a carp. But i do remember that the fish didn't have barbels. At the time if figured some carp just don't. I didn't even know you could catch these at decker. txlunkerhunter, where'd u catch that PB?

HHJ ... the one I got today was about that size 'cept it was much whiter in color

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lunker-hunter, yup the water is low at the ramp. but i saw some guys with decent size boats move in and out without too much trouble.

jukebox, i'm sure it's not a white amur (the huge scales make me think buffalo or carp plus the mouth was different) but i started thinking that HHJ's fish was a buffalo but i didn't want to say anything cos I'm not familiar with either carp or buffalo. whatever it was i sure enjoyed it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wow. sounds like a big fish, I am more inclined to think it was a fresh water drum being that he caught it at trolling speeds on a 16ft or so crank bait, likely in open water. I've always thought of carp and buffalo as very shallow water fish that aren't agressive.

·
Registered
846 Posts
What ever it was, congrats on the nice big fish.
The ramp is OK. I was out there yesterday and did not have any problems unloading or loading. There is just a lot of Hydrila around the ramp and boat slips.

Emmett

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.