Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We looked to be the first trailer in the lot this morning, but the dawn patrol quickly qued up behind us. The angler launching the Legend beside us warned us of the 10:00am cold front wind shift. We wished him luck and made turns for the home of the giants. Todd yelled, “Duck!” as we scattered the flocks of coots from their watery roosts.

We got on station at the outside edge of the hydrilla. We fished some moving baits. I started fishing a Texas-rigged craw worm. Something touched the craw. Hooksets are free, so the saying goes. I gave it a good swing and my rod got bent pretty good. I’d foul hooked a magnum sunnie. We junk fished for at least thirty minutes before going to senko.

Todd moved us inside and we cast our senkos up to the reed edges. Todd’s eyes followed his senko to the water surface. It splashed inches from the emerging reed stalks. Todd heard the scrape of fronds and saw the ripples created by a bulrush stalk being shoved aside as a bulging wake set a bead on his lure. I glanced over and saw his line swim a couple inches. Todd r’ared back, going full send on short line. It was a really good hookset, super quick and super powerful. No chicken-wing, no step-back, no arched back, no tip-toes. Just a burly pivoting shoulder turn with lightning speed and strength of purpose. He exclaimed, “I knew he was there!” I moved forward to assist. I was impressed by the pull of this fish as Todd’s rod more than doubled over when the bass surged and swam under the boat. Todd turned the fish and I reached down for the grab. Very nice, long, four-and-a-half pound largemouth.

I got paged by work. We began fishing our way out of the cove. Todd was giving me priority for the reed edge. I guess it was because he didn’t want me skunked by leaving for work. Plus, he got that good’un. I capitalized on his graciousness and I caught two short bass on senko. Then the front hit, our nice, mild, calm morning turning downright nautical. I caught one more short bass on drop shot roboworm. We are both Weekend Anglers with decent work ethics. Todd was understanding about taking me in early to go to work. I’m really glad he caught a good fish before I was paged. Can’t wait for next weekend.
Water Sky Smile Lake Outdoor recreation
Water Fin Underwater Fluid Fish

·
Registered
53 Posts
Seems like you fish senkos a lot with success. Any tips for getting a big bass to bite in submerged trees? Theres a good one Ive spotted repeatedly but cant get the fish to budge and everytime i throw a plastic in there i get hung up.

·
Super Moderator
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, Todd and I both love to fish with senkos. When I think about where we started with senkos and how we fish them today, we each had our own seperate evolutionary path that wound up being pretty close to one another in its eventual manifestation. The gear and tackle is relatively similar and the senko size, color, scent and rigging is identical from front deck to back.

As far as sight fishing, I can not offer advice because I don’t sight fish. Todd is more of a hunter and may be able to offer you something In the way of presentation tips.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Seems like you fish senkos a lot with success. Any tips for getting a big bass to bite in submerged trees? Theres a good one Ive spotted repeatedly but cant get the fish to budge and everytime i throw a plastic in there i get hung up.
Please forgive the brain dump. It was a long day at work but I wanted to reply in a timely manner.

Yup, I fish weightless wacky “WW” senko a lot and believe I am pretty good with it.

I use a different setup than most people in that I do not fish WW on spinning gear. My actual setup is a Abu Garcia Revo MGX 8.1 paired with a St. Croix Avid-X (micro-guides) medium fast. 15lb Seagar fluro is spooled up and the terminal end is a Owner 2/0 SSW needle point hook (no weed guard). This allows me to fish in and around cover that is way heavier than most people fish WW. It also lets me set the hook with serious authority.

With WW it is very difficult mentally for me to fish it where I don’t have a visible target. I like casting at individual reed stalks, visible grass edges, holes in grass mats, and anything else I can see. Not saying that blind carpet bombing a WW isn’t effective because it is. Also I fish WW in the upper water column rarely letting it sink more than 3-5 feet.

Now back to what you actually asked about and targeting a known big un in a submerged tree.

In my mind, mentally playing the scenario out, I would start by trying to get that fish to react. Nice size squarebill that would just bump the top of the tree branches. Then I would try and trick her with a suspending jerkbait right over the top. Just letting it sit there and then pop that thing hard a couple times. If that didn't work then I would try and feed her with a WW. Counting it down while it sank trying to keep it out of the tree top.

The problem with WW and timber is that no matter how heavy a setup you are using if that hook point touches wood it will hang up. Even circle hooks with weed guards are no match for it. But if there is a good un in there I don't mind breaking off a few setups just for the opportunity.

Anyway let me know if you catch her. If you give up, give Jeremy and I the GPS coordinates and we would both be happy to take a crack at her for you. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is great, really informative, I feel like I learned something just reading it.

I've gotten her to follow a swimbait 20 or so feet into open water but didn't commit. I believe I hooked her or another similar fish once on TR worm a couple months ago when I was fishing at night but immediately snapped my 15lb fluoro. I had the same setup when I caught the 13lb drum a couple months ago (I know they dont fight as hard but still) and had no problem getting that fish in.

Ill give a squarebill and jerkbait suggestions a shot. I know there's at least a few other big ones in the spot with her but she is just a beast, a small submarine.

Im happy to point you guys to the spot. She aint my fish, shes everyone's to catch! I suspect its not a secret spot too. I've caught a lot of real nice fish in that area (5+lbs).

·
Registered
141 Posts
My favorite thing about y'all is your willingness to share info. I no longer fish tourneys...i leave that to the young'uns. that said, how in the world are y'all fishing ww senkos in that hydrilla on decker? even when i tip the hook in the bait i still pull back a lot a salad

·
Registered
374 Posts
My favorite thing about y'all is your willingness to share info. I no longer fish tourneys...i leave that to the young'uns. that said, how in the world are y'all fishing ww senkos in that hydrilla on decker? even when i tip the hook in the bait i still pull back a lot a salad
I pull back salad quite often. I guess the two main things I do with WW is that I don't let it sink down very far and I never work it all the way back to the boat, I don't have the patience for that. Once it hits the water and after only a couple seconds I pop it checking for weight, reel in the slack, and repeat the process only a few times. If I feel weight and it isn't a fish or a hang up then I will pop it hard to try and clear it. Amazing how many hit when I do that. Reel it in and then rinse and repeat.

I love throwing that thing on top of a hydrilla mat right by a hole or hard edge. Then slowly drag it off the end and let it sink down, deadly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts