Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until about 2 weeks ago, I was catching exclusively good size light colored crappie at my brush pile in Cypress Creek on Lake Travis. With only a few exceptions, they all contained eggs. The last 3 fishing trips, the crappie have been darker, smaller, and without eggs. Today, using a small yellow jig with crappie nibbles, I caught 5 of the smaller, darker variety and the bite stopped. I started playing around with changes in depth, drop rate, etc. As I was retrieving the jig from the bottom, I hooked what was obviously a fish that was bigger than the crappie I had been catching. Turns out it was a good size white bass. Just as I got it to the surface, 6 good size black bass appeared, and as a group, followed the white bass around as it was swimming in an effort to get away. Even after I got the white bass in the boat, the black bass stayed around for a few minutes. I realize that objects under water appear to be larger than they really are. However, I have caught enough dinks to know that, although they weren't giants, those I saw today were significantly over the 14 inch legal minimum.

I guess next time I go, I will take more than a crappie rig.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went back this morning to try and catch the LMB I saw last week. Tried a wacky rigged Senko for about 1/2 hour without any takers. Got bored and dropped the Senko to an unknown depth and put the rod in a holder. Rigged up a crappie jig and started catching crappie. To my surprise, something grabbed the Senko and started moving with it. Grabbed the rod and hooked the fish briefly, but it came off. Threw the Senko back out and immediately, the LMB in the picture took it. The LMB is between 16 and 17 inches.

The LMB and all the crappie except one had eggs.

On another subject, the Rapala Lithium Ion fillet knife I gave myself for Christmas works ok on the crappie, but it struggled with the bass. I'm a bit disappointed with it.

IMG_20170420_113038.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The current price of the Rapala fillet knife seems to be around $80. I will sell if for 1/2 price: $40

1 - 8 of 8 Posts