Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came off the Pedernales last night with a mess of crappie and decided we were having friend crappie for dinner. Fileted out the fish and placed the filets in a buttermilk bath and started a fire out in the fire ring. In a large bowl I combined 2 cups of pancake mix (no clue what kind we have but you just add water to it) with about 3/4 cup of beer. Set the batter aside to allow it to thicken. In a small bowl I combined salt and pepper to taste with 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder, a pinch of cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. nutmeg and 1/4 tsp. chipotle chili powder. Stirred that mixture into the batter and allowed it to rest again. Went out to the garden and grabbed 3 jalapenos and 1 habanero. Using a small grater, I added the grated peppers to the batter and mixed well once more.

Sliced up a bag a brussels sprouts, tossed them in some garlic infused olive oil and stirred in a 1/2 cup of stone ground mustard.

Placed two large cast iron skillets over the fire. Added oil to the first one and the sprouts to the second one. Once the oil reached about 350 I began dipping the filets straight into the batter then placing them in the skillet to fry. Takes about 3-4 minutes per side at most. Make sure you keep an eye on the sprouts while you are cooking the fish. Cooked the filets in batches to avoid over crowding the pan and let them drain on a paper towel when done. Serve with a glass of bourbon and enjoy the fire after you are done eating.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts