Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fished for 35 years and have never learned crankbaits. I know for a fact that I'm leaving a lot of fish behind but I just don't have confidence in them or any other hard bait for that matter. I fish soft plastics all the time. I would like to fish wih someone that knows what they're doing. We can take my boat and leave all tackle in the truck except cranks. I understand the functions of different bill shapes and that contact with cover is important but just don't ever use them.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I use them as a search bait. To find the fish if I'm not having any luck. I like the strike king one that has a big body and it has a small square bill. I'll see if I can find a picture of it and show you.

Clancy W

·
Registered
604 Posts
Using soft plastics is sometimes the only way to go. When there is a lack of wind, or very clear water, plastics are hard to beat.

Crankbaits are certainly a good search bait, but can also be the best thing to throw in certain conditions//situations. For example, when fish are shallow and active, I will put down the plastic, pick up a crank or SB and cover water. Also when its windy (pretty much every trip at certain times for the year here in Tx) a crankbait or moving bait will be a bait you can throw and still catch fish and cover water.

Next trip you go out and the wind is howling, put on a square bill shallow diver, and a med depth crank (6-10 ft diver), get parallel with the bank, put your trolling motor on high, and cover some water. You will find that its much easier than trying to throw a t-rig/senko/shakey head in the wind--ten fold.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Hey MySkeeter...
I've thrown crankbaits for several years now and have always felt ok with them, but it hasn't been until the last year or so that I've suddenly realized that I haven't been using them to their full potential. I'm starting to realize that there's reasons why guys like KVD throw them all the time. I've been on a pretty jammin' crankbait bite out at Lake Travis lately, so if you want to shoot me a PM we can hook up and throw cranks all day and I can tell you what I know. That's all I've been doing for the last 3 weeks anyway. I'm about to drop off my trolling motor at the doctor today, so I'll be boatless for a short while here. Perfect opportunity for us to head out in yours. I've had pretty consistent action with 2-3lbers out there lately. Unfortunately it didn't work out so well for me last night, but the fish just kind of changed moods on me from what they're been doing and I figured it out too late. They'll still eat the crank though...

35303F2E2E3B2C363B3F3A5E0 said:
I have fished for 35 years and have never learned crankbaits. I know for a fact that I'm leaving a lot of fish behind but I just don't have confidence in them or any other hard bait for that matter. I fish soft plastics all the time. I would like to fish wih someone that knows what they're doing. We can take my boat and leave all tackle in the truck except cranks. I understand the functions of different bill shapes and that contact with cover is important but just don't ever use them.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Crank baits are good this time of yr and its a perfect time to get some confidence using them. I threw a CB 85% of the time last night. I had one fish hit the bait, lost him and the big one of the night jumped all over it. I saw him come up behind it and crush it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I catch most alot of fish on Travis with either a Lipless and lipped crankbait. I won a tournament on Travis with a lipless crankbait in January 04.

Oct - Nov is a good time to start with crankbaits. You will be surprise that there is always a shallow water bite on Travis especially with bigger fish in the fall and early winter.

I would start with a small shallow diver hitting transition areas from secondary and primary points. The small shallow diver will catch numbers but also large fish. With the shallow bite, you nust cover water and you can wear yourself out too. Like other have mentioned, look for the windy areas, which provides more DO, push plankton..then baitfish..then gamefish.

I caught two keeper LM yesterday on Strike King, 7-8 Ft diver. The fish were caught off the edge of a dropoff from a sec. point. I usually stick with Strike King due to their price and the Hot lips for the deep diver.

Anytime, u want to go fishing let me know. I live out in Pt. Venture and heading there this weekend. If there is nice south wind tomorrow. You can bet...you will see me throwing a crankbait on key wind blown tomorrow. I'll be in grey Ranger R81 on LT hopefully by 1000..

Strictly bizness may have a better pattern as I have caught alot of keepers but not those +3 to win tournaments. The big fish have been coming from a jig or Tx rig creature bait for me.

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
A few years back I was the same way.  I talked to good buddy of mine and shed a little light on the subject for me.  I then forced myself to use a crankbait for a few trips out.  Man am I glad I did.  I have caught some big fish on them.

My take on it.

The key to being successful with a crankbait, is learning to fish it like a jig.  What I mean by this is:  In lakes like Travis, LA,LBL there are a ton of rocks with some trees, laydowns..etc.  If you can learn to fish these like you would a jig and "feel your way" around the structure you will catch fish on a cranlbait.  With a jig, you can feel when you hit a rock, or a tree limb....etc.  With a crankbait, it's not that much different, you just kinda have to think in reverse b/c the bait floats and doesn't sink like a jig.

Of course when your fishing grass, it's a little different approach.  You want something that will just tick the tops of the grass.

Here are a couple of videos

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OR6RV_3unY[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1DkWcO6nwU[/media]

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the information. i bought three today that dive to different depths. i may go tomorrow and throw them exclusively to get a feel for them.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Crank baits are something I really need to work with more often too. I mean shoot, I have a dang boat load of these baits that I never even use. I bet I have some that are about four years old and they have never been in the water. I guess what I need to do is, tie on about six different baits, and just fish with those all day long.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i used to carry a spark plug in my tackle box for that purpose. worked every time.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I just got my .44 mag a few days ago (custom made lure retriever) and I haven't needed to use it yet, but man, let me tell you - it's a real work of art. I know it's silly - but the craftsmanship's really evident and it's just a really cool thing. It does cost around twice as much as the typical lure retriever, but that includes shipping and looking at the thing, I feel it's worth the $.

BTW, I didn't buy it just because it looks good - its also gotten a lot of really good reviews on some other sites.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Crank bait is very good, every time you use them you can get good delivery. I had a fish hit the bait, lost him, and one of them jumped over in the middle of the night. I saw him walk behind it and crush it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts