Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been really happy with the KVD mustad 1x strong 2x short treble hooks since I started using them last year. I hardly ever lose a crankbait fish these days and I feel very confident everytime I stick a fish with these hooks:
Mustad KVD 1x Strong 2x Short Triple Grip Treble Hook

They come in 7 sizes, here is the list from largest to smallest:
KVD Elite Series Short Triple Grip 3/0 11pk $13.99
KVD Elite Series Short Triple Grip 2/0 11pk $11.49
KVD Elite Series Short Triple Grip 1/0 11pk $8.99
KVD Elite Series Short Triple Grip 1 11pk $7.99
KVD Elite Series Short Triple Grip 2 11pk $6.99
KVD Elite Series Short Triple Grip 4 11pk $6.49

KVD Elite Series Short Triple Grip 6 11pk $6.49

The ones in bold are sizes that I use. With the most common sizes being the 1 and the 2. I am looking for the biggest hooks I can get that will not tangle up with one another or get stuck on the bill of the crank. Nothing I hate more than a wasted cast on a crank that is fouled up. Here are examples on some of my Strike King Cranks with max sized hooks.

For the 10XD I use the giant 3/0.
6XD I was using the size 1 (actually in the pic they are size 1), but I switched to 1/0 recently which is slightly bigger and they do not get fouled up.
5XD size 1, in the past I was using size 2, but the 1s seem to work just fine so went up a size on them as well, those are size 1 in the pic
3XD size 4

For the Squarebills
2.5 size 1
1.5 size 2
1.0 size 4

Anybody else have some hook upgrades they like?

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Very trophy, yeah I replace the split ring on the bill if it is not oval. Strike King uses oval rings so I don't mess with them. But all my Bombers and DD22s get these:

6th Sense Oval Split Rings 25pk

The oval split ring really makes sure your bait runs true.

as well as the KVD hooks.
Extra trophy points for the oval split rings. Something to note, it's easier to keep your knot out of the "split" and from possibly getting knocked or worn

·
Registered
32 Posts
great stuff!

Do you guys run a swivel or direct tie?
i like a quick exchange just worry about it running untrue.

Reactions: austinjohn

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great stuff!

Do you guys run a swivel or direct tie?
i like a quick exchange just worry about it running untrue.
I direct tie. But when I go trolling with my dad he uses a swivel on his crankbaits. He seems to catch as many white bass or hybrids as i do, so I guess it really doesn't bother the fish. Although usually when you are trolling the baits are pretty deep and you are moving at a pretty good speed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I direct tie. But when I go trolling with my dad he uses a swivel on his crankbaits. He seems to catch as many white bass or hybrids as i do, so I guess it really doesn't bother the fish. Although usually when you are trolling the baits are pretty deep and you are moving at a pretty good speed.

Thats awesome, I always love having my swivel so i can be quick on the fly but I always worried about presentation.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a very trophy thread. I feel like a tool because I just take mine right out of the box and tie them on. There is so much to learn from this site, thanks ABF you guys rock!!! :cool::D:p

Frack you smart ass. I really just wanted an excuse to play with my crankbaits today. Fishing stock crankbaits is so not trophy I don't know what to tell you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like the new Gamakatsu Japan tour grade EWG short shank magic eye.......crazy sharp and strong. Especially for jerkbaits that are very touchy with weight changes like the megabass

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have never changed out the hooks at the start but I do sharpen them. Last week I had a fish bend a hook on a brand new ZaraSpook, so I'll be changing them out asap.
I know all you trophy guys may laugh at this but, (here goes)....I bought some H20 express squarebills, sharpened the hooks, and proceeded to catch a bunch of fish yesterday, we got into a school of whites or hybrids (I don't know the diff) and were catching fish on almost every cast for a time, mostly small fish but they were hammering the the crankbait. I had 6-7 fish that had all 3 points of the treble hook stuck in their mouth.
I caught 2 LMB's the first was a small one that hit the crank but didn't inhale, (like pres Clinton) the stock hooks grabbed his lower jaw underneath (outside) and the front hook had him by the front fin. I believe that the fact that the hooks were needle sharp has everything to do with the percentage of hook-ups (100%).
Later on we had moved to another spot and my first cast was into another area of feeding fish but this time I had a 4lb+ bass, huge fight, lots of aerial display, much bigger fish than the one that bent the hook on my spook last week, & he was hooked up with both trebs in the mouth, no bent hooks, & no visible damage so I probably won't change out the H20 hooks, just keep them sharp.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I too love the KVD Elite hooks. Does it make me trophy? Hell I dont know, is it possible to be a Trophy, Trophy? Cause I think thats really my next step in trophy-dom. I don't limit my hook changing skillz to cranks though. I also change out hooks on most of my traps. I also use the Norman brand quick change clasp for cranks and the Spro brand for traps. They let the bait swivel so you dont lose action and they have held up to 18lb catfish. I know some people like to change out the split rings but I have never had issues with the stock ones and dont know why you would swap them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts