Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we rented a Bayliner VR with a Mercury 150 from Cranes Mill Marina at Canyon Lake. Mucho thanks to langlowe9 for suggesting and loaning two nice inflatable towables to take with us. We departed the marina at 9:30am. It wasn’t long before we convinced my 85 year old father to leave the comfort of the boat for the adventure on a rope, after all it‘s his birthday. He had a blast. My son got airborne when Grandpa got him to 40mph. No fishing poles on this trip, unfortunately. The marina was awash in fish.

We left Canyon at 2pm and went back to the Comal for some snorkeling. The big channel cats were letting me and my son close enough to touch them. We also saw carp, sunfish and largemouth. I saw a large brown fish from the surface in 8 FOW. I dove for a closer look. The back of the fish was covered with dark spots. I got to the level of the fish and the fish turned broadside. It was a three pound smallmouth!

This morning I launched the ’yak at 6:30am into the quietest summertime Comal I’ve ever seen. Not a soul on the river except me. I paddled up river and thought that I would drift down to where I saw the smallmouth. I cast a senko into the current and let it drift and sink. I felt the bite and r’ared back for the hookset. I felt head shake and then the fish was pulling me across the Comal!

I patiently played the fish to the yak. Of all the Black Bass I’ve caught in my life, this is one of the more striking. I’m thinking its a Meanmouth, you know the smallmouth/Guadelupe cross. The fish was potbellied and crazy strong. Beautiful markings. I drifted down to the Guadelupe river catching six largemouth on the way. At 9am I paddled back for a breakfast of grapefruit and cornflakes with blueberries, bananas and peaches. The kayak is still on the bank waiting for me, gotta go!
45E49F3A-6D9A-4978-BD76-6F2D67DA823B.jpeg B535DB24-CFCC-4FAA-B62D-5489D839DD26.jpeg 1468B102-D7DF-46AB-8D9E-57801FB1272B.jpeg 5E92B719-3798-440E-B052-FC67C52291F7.jpeg C665362C-7139-4304-AD62-0A584CC53588.jpeg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Is the last put in/take out before the confluence with the Guad open for use? That was always my put in spot for that section. Used to do very well upstream from the confluence on the Guad. Really a stunning stretch of crystal clear water, and some really fat fish in there. Glad you are having fun with the entire family.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welderdude, I’m sorry to report that the last toober exit is closed for the pandemic. River access is restricted to riverfront residents and resort guests (wearing wristbands). When my son and I were snorkeling the first day, we missed our private exit and wound up exiting at the last toober exit and walking back. No security present, only the usual barricades and a small sign.
A99DE781-B074-4CE4-87D3-2C9E859BFF6E.jpeg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts