Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I fished the hours either side of sunrise and wound up with only two fish. I gave up and went to Prince Solms park. Me and the boy went through the Tube Chute repeatedly, sometimes with tubes and sometimes without.

This morning I was back on the river at 5:30AM. I filled a 32oz Yeti with black coffee and dragged the yak down the slope to an easy launch spot. After yesterday’s disaster, I thought I’d better change senko color. I paddled the yak across to a bulkhead along shallow river rock. I made a couple casts to the bulkhead while slowly drifting downstream. The morning was still, calm wind and the only sound was music from the morning songbirds. A couple of planets were visible through the cypress canopy. Sunfish were busting jesus bugs. Deer grazed the manicured lawns along the banks.

I steered my kayak to the middle, turned into the current and bombed the senko between the overhanging branches as far as I could up-river. The senko drifted back a couple feet and was struck. I r’ared back getting a good bend in the rod. The fish ran towards me and I reeled quickly and once more bent the rod. From the porchlight of a waterfront house, I saw a good fish jump clean out of the river and shake its head. Tension left the rod and slack line fell to the water. Is this going to be like yesterday?

I was actually quite happy to get a strike early on, so I set about fishing my spots. I caught a Guad from an outside bend. I paddled up-river to Garden Street bridge and got a nice meanmouth from some undercut rock along a current-swept steep bank. I drifted back down as a fly-fisherman paddled up-river. A couple of morning bathers swam past me. The sky was light, but the river quiet, the calm before the weekend onslaught.

The catch frequency improved as I closed in on the Last Toober Exit. This spot was loaded with largemouth. I methodically worked over the Last Toober Exit from shore-to-shore, milking every bite out of the nooks and crannies. The fly-fisherman came back down and asked if I’d found them. I said yeah they’re all right here. He told me he was off to fish new water in the Guadalupe and I wished him luck.

I let the fly-fisherman get a head start and then I followed him down to the confluence with the Guadelupe. Waterbirds kept a solemn watch. Woodpeckers hammered on cypress branches. Muscovy ducks made noisy low level passes overhead. Invasive Egyptian geese honked from back yards. Cardinals streaked though river-side tree branches. Hummingbirds flitted among towering trunks searching for huisache nectar.

At the confluence was a turtle-infested weedline composed of loose fanwort, water-willow and eelgrass leaves. I cast at it and was rewarded with a bumpity-bump strike. I reeled in another nice largemouth. I moved around the corner into the Guadalupe and caught several small LMB’s and a sunfish from the base of a giant cypress. I was having a great morning.

My yeti was empty and my stomach was growling. I paddled upstream and got a couple more largemouth from the Last Toober Exit. I arrived back to my launch spot. I thought back to the fish I’d lost earlier. I steered my kayak to the middle, turned into the current and bombed the senko between the overhanging branches as far as I could up-river. The senko drifted back as I retrieved semi-slack line. The senko was pulled down and I r’ared back. The morning’s first tubers were floating down and I commenced to showing out. I was hollerin’ and swinging the rod with elbows out. I saw the fish boatside and almost couldn’t believe my eyes. It was a giant Guadalupe Bass. I lipped the State Fish of Texas and whooped. I told myself this was the fish I’d lost earlier. Satisfied, I made a couple of maneuvering paddlestrokes to the take-out spot. Off at 9:30AM.
Smile Vertebrate Water Fisherman Baseball cap
Water Sky Vertebrate Smile Fisherman
Water Plant Boat Plant community Natural environment
Fisherman Organism Fish Fishing Recreational fishing
Water Smile Vertebrate Sky Tree
Smile Vertebrate Water Hat Mammal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts