Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I fished Decker. I launched first. I had to be off the lake by 9am, so I decided to fish close to the ramp instead of making the hour long run to the home of the giants. I should have made the long run. I nearly got skunked, but I did catch a small LMB on drop-shot. I caught a couple of sunfish on drop-shot, too.

This morning, I launched the kayak around 6am. I had the river to myself. It was raining and still a little dark, but I had a full 32oz Yeti with black half caf. My second cast I hooked into a fat Guad. A couple cast later, my rod bowed and I got towed downriver by good’un. The largemouth measured 18.5” on my paddle. I paddled down to the Last Toober Exit and got five more LMB.

I parked the kayak and snorkeled with my son. The water is murky from the rain runoff. We did not see nearly as many fish as we saw last year. Another angler in a yak came by and told me where I could find a school of smallmouth. Tomorrow I hope to find those smallies. If they’re not home, I’ll paddle on down to the Guadalupe.
38F27DE1-D890-4764-A076-85E883C9B455.jpeg
D0B8E8DE-704E-4CE8-AC08-A853E24934FD.jpeg

·
Registered
284 Posts
Glad you can get on there now,I haven't fished that part in a few years. Remember that you had a phenomenal time there last year though...hope it holds up this year!

·
Super Moderator
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Welder, last year was epic and this year is getting off to a good start. The Comal is back to its normal summer craziness with full Tube Access. The crazy rainy weather is the only thing different.

Yesterday, my son and I took advantage of the rain shortened ride lines at Original Schlitterbahn. By rain shortened, I mean practically no wait. We went on every ride and tube chute in about three-and-a-half hours. What a blast.

This morning I dropped in to the Comal at 6am. I abandoned the plan to go upriver to find smallies. The water is fast and murky from rain. I went on down to the confluence with the Guadalupe and it was on like Donkey Kong.

I caught four three-pounders, very fat and healthy. I caught a lot of cutie-pies. No Guads or smallies today. Total of fourteen in the yak. Lost a couple of good’uns. When I was done, I took my rods and paddle up to the car. When I went back for the yak, it had slipped its mooring and drifted two-hundred yards down-river in the swift current. I immediately jumped in and swam after it. I paddled back with my sandals. Off at 9am.
4B7C0294-08A2-4658-AA89-AABBC41466AC.jpeg

·
Registered
284 Posts
You learned a good lesson...and caught some nice fish too! Those Comal / Guadalupe river bass pull really hard but can sometimes be very picky. Glad you and the boy got to enjoy Schlitterbahn without all the people.

·
Super Moderator
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I’m dragging the yak completely out from now on! Other than that goof, I was really proud of my efforts yesterday. Yesterday the Comal was hopping, fishing AND tubing! The police patrol boats were writing lots of tickets to tubers with glass bottles and beer cans. How are people so clueless?

I shoved off at 6:30am this morning. I concentrated on the four bulkheads that gave up all the fish yesterday. I only managed two cutie-pie LMB’s from the bulkheads. I saw a squirrel fall out of a Magnolia tree and land in the Comal. He swam fast to the bank and scampered back up the tree. The squirrels are always dropping stuff on or near me, so I got a good laugh when I saw one get wet.

I paddled to the Last Toober Exit and bombed senko from the cable upriver and let it drift back. You are right Paul, these hybrid black bass from the Last Toober Exit are as strong as they are strikingly beautiful. I was stoked to end our stay in New Braunfels with two of these hard pulling river brutes. Off at 9am.
13085EDA-CC6E-472B-8D04-64086528CBDC.jpeg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts