Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meeting in Smithville again to pick up our granddaughter so I brought the yak this time and arrived way early. Launched from the 230 bridge around 9:30 to a light steady sprinkle. Water was still pretty clear so I began working my way back upriver. I started out with jigs, roadrunners, chatterbaits and spinners and fished steady for about 3 hours. Caught 4 LMB cutie pies, 1 LMB fun fish, 2 sand bass ~ 13" each and one really nice channel cat. Fish were staying mainly in deeper pockets and eddies but the bite really started to slow down around 12:00ish. Turned and began working my way back down stream. Not much bite going on so I switched to a TR BBH (watermelon) and let the current basically take me back. Missed on a couple short strikes on the way back down before snagging a little gar. Switched back to the spinning rod and went old school with a silver/black Gay Blade when I noticed fish breaking along the surface near the 230 bridge. Kept working my way downriver and trying to target the sporadic blowups. 11 sand bass (11" - 14") by the time I reached a nice creek feeding into the river to my right. Water was slightly stained from the rain and the creek. I anchored above the creek and tossed the BBH into the mouth of the creek and my line immediately headed out into the river. Hook set rocked the yak and I was on with a beautiful fun fish that was tail walking between runs in the current. Over the next 45 minutes or so I caught 7 more LMB on the BBH - all of them cutie pies or fun fish. And then the bite just died. Spent the next hour+ searching for LMB, sand bass, anything biting. With nothing happening and my pick up time approaching I turned around and headed back up river. Caught 3 more sand bass working blow ups but it was slow. I had almost reached the Hwy. 71 bridge and saw another creek feeding in on the right. Grabbed the BBH and made a few casts up into the mouth of the creek with no luck. On the other side of the river from the creek mouth were some laydowns hanging over into the water. Tossed the BBH into the middle as I was trying to pick up the paddle. Stupid move on my part. Line went tight and the water swirled and the fish was on - briefly. By the I put the paddle down and recovered the rod I had limp line and no fish. But the 4th cast back into the brush and to use Jeremy's phrase - it was on like Donkey Kong. This time my set was true and my rod was doubled over. Thank God she broke straight out of the brush into deeper water before turning back towards the shoreline. I could see her clearly in the water as she took a little drag and rolled twice I was trying to turn her away from the brush and fighting with my yak at the same time since she was pulling me along more than I was moving her. She was getting closer to the brush so I went for broke and tightened my drag a little and dropped my anchor. A few minutes later I lipped a beautiful 6.5 bigun and swung her into the yak. She was a toad - squat and fat and gorgeous. I slid her back into the water and worked the brush for about 15 more minutes with nothing. Time to go so I hooked a Road Runner to the spinning rod and played the line out behind me as I paddled back up river to my car. Passing under the Hwy 71 bridge the rod bent and I had a very nice crappie on board. I really needed to get loaded but heck, fish were biting. 20 minutes and I had 9 crappie added to the channel cat and sand bass. I was going to be late for sure. Spooled up and dashed back to the car. Threw my gear into the back and tossed the yak on top. Raced over the meet for the hand-off and found that no one was there. Checked my phone and dang it - they were running an hour late. Not enough time to launch again so I went back and fileted fish before going back and picking up my granddaughter. The fish fry was amazing Sunday afternoon. Beer battered with hush puppies and fried brussel sprouts with bacon. Keep your lines tight, be safe and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only reason I ever found it is because that is where my granddaughter is passed between parents. I got volunteered to do the pick up once and got the time wrong. Google maps to the rescue as I tried to find water to wet a line to kill time.

·
Super Moderator
2,026 Posts
Great write up. I really enjoyed reading your story. I can’t even imagine catching a six-and-a-half pound largemouth from my yak. Good job!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind words Jeremy. And who are you kidding. The bass you have hauled in sitting in that Prowler. I know those get pulled around too if they are not anchored. Still trying to get my schedule worked out so I can load up the yak and try the San Gabriel above Lake Georgetown some time.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welder - have you fished to Colorado between Austin and Bastrop? I have not done that but I have kayaked it before and I think it could be a fairly productive stretch of water that doesn't seem to get much fishing pressure.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have been as far as Big Webberville, never been downstream from there. Have threatened several times, but will do doing it when time allows, as we are in process of relocating to the Bastrop area sometime this year. And I do know the fun of catching 5+ pounders from the 'yak, and it is even better when they are river fish. If you want to hitch a ride up the river on Lake Georgetown let me know!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the fishing like up there Welder? I have gotten a lot of conflicting reports but the water sure looks nice.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Webberville area? Or up the San Gabriel? I have only been to Tejas on foot, never been that far in a boat. Fishing was slow last weekend, hoping it is on tomorrow. Otherwise I will be forced back to the Lampasas River on Stillhouse

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We had a blast. And I was asking about San Gabriel Welder. What is it like above Lake Georgetown?

·
Registered
84 Posts
You kept sand bass and discarded the green bass? Them green ones make very good eating and the 6.5 pounder would have nice fillets. Seems like the bass fishermen are a strange lot. Spend a fortune on tackle, catch and release the fish and then go to the market and buy frozen, old fish. My mamma taught me better.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did keep the sand bass Larry but you will never see me spending money on frozen fish at a store. We catch and consume as we like but I do prefer to return the bass to the water for others to enjoy catching as well. When I was younger we kept the freezer full and consumed everything we caught. As the population began to dwindle it became apparent to me that the over fishing/consumption was hurting us.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have never been all the way from Tejas to the actual lake. But I do routinely go about 3 miles up from where the trees start at the mouth of the river. From what I have seen, I would be doing lots of dragging with the kayak, but do have a neighbor who has done it in a Hobie with pedals.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welder, i assume the low water is related to the draught right now or is it always hit and miss for water?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts