Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's pretty cool... I helped get the SFA Bass Club off and running back a few years... Back then, the top 6 in the club used to qualify for the top 6 Honey Hole tournament, then Honey Hole went under and the top 2 kids got invited to the national college tournament... The Inaugural Smash Mouth Tournament. The two SFA kids, Casey Sobczak and Jonathan Garrie lead the SFA Bass Fishing Team to a national championship victory last fall. Shortly after that they even got shown on Gerald Swindles fishing show. It's really taking off up there, I'm happy for those kids and the school. If you have kids and they are into fishing, SFA is not a bad option. Low attendance, cheap tuition and Sam Rayburn, Lake Fork and Toledo Bend all within an hour, not to mention the smaller lakes around the area that also produce quality bass.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Rayburn and Toledo are less than an hour. If I would have put SFA is 2 hours from all three lakes, someone would have said "Rayburn two hours from SFA? Only if you drive the long way around to Twin Dikes". I can't win, eaither way... Thanks for clarifying it for everyone who hasn't been to East Texas though

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I grew up in Nacogdoches and have done a lot of fishing on Sam Rayburn, It use to only take us about 35 min to the closets ramp. Toledo bend is about an hour and lake fork about 2 hours. Like you said it all depends on what park you go to also don't forget lake Nacogdoches is a good bass fishing lake and it's only about 10 min from town.

Chris

·
Administrator
1,530 Posts
Bradley (ABF "GasperGoober") and Ty (aka "Turbo") figured out a way to letter in Bass fishing at the University. I'll defer to them on the details. Apparently there's the big college tourney on Lake Lewisville in September. I'm sure they'd take any tips on the lake.......and donations, and gear, etc.......McDonalds gift cards.....spam....beef jerky.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the post Rude. I have not been able to check the board much for the last month or so, no internet at the apartment. I finally got that set up, so hopefully I can keep current with what all the ABfers are up to.

The UT fishing club (both of us) will be out in full fource at the HHJ on 8/15. We have not been out on LA much this summer, but we are hoping to contend with some of the LA junkies out there. It will be great change from Livingston, that place has kind of been eating our lunch this summer.

As for the fishing club if anyone is wondering. We started our student organization last semester after we saw some of the college tourneys out there. We got into the national championship which is the last week in September on Livingston. Since the club is so new UT did not give us a sponsorship, which means we have to pay our own way and we do not have official excused absences from school. Hopefully starting the spring semester 08 UT will see some of the things we have done and give us that sponsorship, then we can travel across the nation for tourneys (not having to convince the profs that they should let us miss class).

If anyone who reads this is interested in anything we do, has any questions, or knows some UT students that might be interested in the club send me an email.

gasper-goober

Bradley Bell
[email protected]

·
Registered
128 Posts
A UT bass fishing club??? That's sweet. They didn't have one when I went there and I graduated 1 1/2 years ago.

I am now pondering graduate school. As soon as oil starts to slide... count me in Goober.

Hey fishless... What is the deal with the monkeys and guns? I saw your other avatar on BBC.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.