Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These were the words from TPWD. I talked to them this morning about the potiential spread of Zebra Mussells.

EXAMPLE:

If you launch your boat in Lake Belton and pump water into live well or carry lake water for bait tanks or fish livewells for bass tournaments, ect, then you could become a carrier. TPWD says that the microscopic free-swimming Zebra Veligers swim in the water column near the surface. Once these larvae reaches a tank in your boat, then they can stay out of water for a few days. If you go to another lake without powerwashing or cleaning, draining and then drying for several days, then you could transfer them into another body of water.

In the springtime, they attach themselves to objects. But until then, they are free-swimming. Adults are about the size of a thumbnail. Apparently Lake Belton has had them in there for over a year, per TPWD. TPWD is worried about the futher spread of these mussells to other parts of the State.

Its important to educate fishermen about the dangerous situation that is going on with this. TPWD says it only a matter of time before Central Texas lake will be effected. But getting word out to protect is the best they can do.

Interesting enough that Blue Catfish, smallmouth bass and crayfish, love to eat zebra mussells.

For more information regarding this topic, visit this website:
TPWD: News Roundup: Zebra Mussels

Robert

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
In theory sounds good and should be followed but the reality is that birds and **** don't read the TPWD web page and warnings. Unfortunately it looks like controlling the spread of Zebras is a losing battle. We can slow them down but I don't see how they can be stopped. Matter fact releasing water down stream is probably going to spread them quicker than any boats or man. Basically a **** sandwich and we all get to take a bite.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Rex here is what I have read about them. They don't not survive dry conditions or high water temperatures. Anything above 85 degrees kill them. Some of our lakes such as Belton, Buchanan and Travis due to the extreme water fluctuations may keep them in check as well as the hot water temps in the summer. Our constant level Lakes such as , Inks, LBJ, Marble Falls, Austin and Lady Bird are going to be at higher risk. Especially Austin since its water temps stay cool most of the year. It may take lowering these lake for a prolong period in the heat of the summer to kill the bastards. I am sure LCRA would approve this plan since that's what they would like to do any way.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly. TPWD agrees that they will not stop the spread, but hopes to slow it down with education. They told me to post and talk about about itto my fellow fishermen and friends. I hope that Algae does not come down here too soon.

TPWD told me that all the hydrilla is gone in Lake Austin and they are dealing with only 200 acres of MillFoil. Apparently Hydrilla grew in the lake and MillFoil grows along the edges. I hated to hear this.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Rex here is what I have read about them. They don't not survive dry conditions or high water temperatures. Anything above 85 degrees kill them. Some of our lakes such as Belton, Buchanan and Travis due to the extreme water fluctuations may keep them in check as well as the hot water temps in the summer. Our constant level Lakes such as , Inks, LBJ, Marble Falls, Austin and Lady Bird are going to be at higher risk. Especially Austin since its water temps stay cool most of the year. It may take lowering these lake for a prolong period in the heat of the summer to kill the bastards. I am sure LCRA would approve this plan since that's what they would like to do any way.
Interesting....Travis won't have any water anyway so no worries there. Sucks about LA and the other constants though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts