Bass Fishing Forum banner

Choke Yesterday 6/13

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  bstan 
#1 ·
Hit Choke again yesterday catching 50. No real big ones this time but plenty of action with some nice ones in the 4-5 pound range. Caught most in and around the grass using crankbaits, worms, centipedes and flukes. Caught the biggest ones though in and around the nastiest dead grass we found. Weird. Fun times!

I talked to Ed Matthews and Jack Sr. out there and it sounds like they did well catching an 11 on Saturday and a 9.5 on Sunday for their big fish for the club tournament they fished. Congrats guys.

For the guys wanting to go down and miss the traffic to and from, your best bet in the morning, (I leave out of Cedar Park at 3am), is to just take I35 out to SA and hit I37 south to exit 72 where you exit for 3 rivers. Watch your speed through town. ;) Turn right at the 3rd light in town to go out to the lake but before that, turn into the gas station at the 1st light to get the best breakfast tacos in Texas. The best start to any fishing day. :cool: Anyway, after the turn to the lake, South Shore ramp is a few miles down on your right and Calliham is several miles further at the yellow blinking lights.

On your way back, you don't want that SA traffic, so here's an easy way back down the back roads. When leaving Three Rivers, take a right at the light where the breakfast tacos can be had and head to Kennedy. When you reach the light at Kennedy, go straight. When you get through town, there will be a split. Take the left side and you'll go until you merge with Hwy 80. Take a right and 80 will turn into 183 which takes you back to Austin. Good luck!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #8 ·
I guess then there was more than 1 over 11 caught prefishing. :cool: There's been 4-5 over 13 in the last week and a few over 12. Usually with the big fish come lots of small ones but the big ones can still be had obviously. Best lake in the country as far as I'm concerned. If you haven't been there, time to go and experience the great bite right now before they decide to go real deep. I'm actually looking forward to them going deep. I have a lot of offshore stuff I'd love to start hammering them on.

Yes 5-20, best breakfast tacos around. Don't be scared. ;D

Discussion starter · #13 ·
5D565A5B390 said:
I am suprised that I have not run into Texas Hawgs
You mean you haven't seen a bright yellow boat out there. ;D I almost always go to Calliham. I have a black Dodge truck and a bright yellow trailer as well. Hard to miss. :D Maybe next time. Say hello.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Well, sometimes Choke fishing is very dependent on when the grass comes in. If the grass arrives late like this year, the bass tend to stick around shallow longer to be in that fresh grass. They can get more oxygen and stay cooler in the grass when the temps rise. Same as the alligators. When it gets hot, they will submerge themselves in it and rest all day underneath it in 5-10 foot of grass only raising their snouts out to breath every now and then.

When the fish go deep in Choke, they can be found anywhere from 25-50 feet deep. Now that doesn't necessarily mean they are on bottom but sometimes suspended in deep trees and a hot lips express banged along the tops of deep trees can pull some out. A big worm or jig worked around those trees can work as well and also a Carolina rigged plastic. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.