Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Choke Canyon with HRSKTR this weekend.  First time on the lake for me.  Here we go!

Saw a dozen of these guys.  We estimated this one at 10'.  Saw one about 13-14' later on.

Friday afteroon, 03/26
Fished from 3 'til 7
Water Temp mid 60's
Water Stained green, visibility 1 foot

We caught 10 LMB to 4lbs.  6 keeps.  No particular pattern.  Senko, Power Worm, Swim Bait, and Spinner bait in 2-12 FOW.

Saturday, 03/27
Fished from 8 'til noon and 4 'til 8 pm
Conditions the same; water temp warmed up to 70 in some areas

We caught 20 in the a.m., and 6 in the pm. 9 keeps to 5 lbs.
Most of the fish caught on WatermelonRed Senko and 10" Power Worms in Watermelon and Red Shad in 4-12 FOW.

Sunday morning, 03/28
Fished from 7:30-11
Water conditions the same; water temp in lower 60's.

Caught 9 or 10 fish.  4 keeps to 4lbs.  Only bite we could find was right off the banks with Spinner Bait. Wind got going and we decided to put the boat on the trailer and head back to Austin.

The best water we fished was on the east side of the lake, north bank/island areas. We caught 'em good off rocky points where we found grass.  Saw other boats in the area cathing them also.  Wind blew pretty good Friday evening and Sunday a.m, limiting our water.  That and the fact that I didn't know the lake that well, it's 10' low, and all the stickups, kept us playing it safe.

Take care,

Wurm

· Registered
2,727 Posts
Tim, sorry I missed your call Friday. My cell wasn't working real good out there. We could have used your help as we stunk it up. Went deep into creeks looking for the big girls and struck out. Ending up getting a little ill from something we ate and left Saturday Afternoon. Caught about 6 fish with 2 keepers biggest 4 lbs on a brushhog in 7 ft of water. Every spot we fished had a minimum of 5 boats on it it seemed. One strech of 100 yards we counted 8 boats and several others looking to come in. More bass boats on the lake than I have ever seen.

· Registered
2 Posts
You got to watch out for those gators... They can sneak up on you when you least expect it. I was there a few Sundays ago and tore them up. Largest was 5lbs but caught at least 6 of them at that size.  I have found that choke canyon is hit or miss.  Big thing this time of year is look for the humps under water in 8-15 foot of water.  Many times these humps are 25 + yards off the shore line near points.

· Registered
93 Posts
Thats God's country right there...nice pic...hey wackyworm did yall fish above highway 99 any? I get back from college tomorrow and I was planning on fishing down there on Thursday and Friday...I am not sure where to fish considering I have never been down there

· Registered
114 Posts
A good place to fish is pictured in the sunset picture. We caught several right there on the hump at the end of the brushy point there last weekend. Look at the suns reflection on the water and its right there to the left.

I caught four keepers right there before the sun came up last Sunday.

We started in the dark throwing 8" Zoom June bug lizards. Once the sky gets bright switch to watermelon red.

All you need is one rod and 8" Zoom lizards. Colors june bug and watermelon red with 20# Flo, 5/0 hook, and 5/16th tungsten.

Cast through, in and around every bush. Also chunk back toward the main lake because the water falls off very deep quickly there. Its a community hole but you will catch them there anytime.

Once you catch one work that bush very thoroughly. We caught several out of the same bush.

We tried to fish there on Saturday but that area stayed stacked up all day with boats.

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Nice meeting you guys out there that weekend.

FYI, the guy who sells Carp, and Catfish bait across from Callihans store, makes his own Jerky, He's been making it for 50 years. Good price, and Awesome Jerky!!!!! I'm gonna have him mail me some more!!! Try it if you like Jerky!~! You'll really like it~!

· Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice meeting Moonraker and Evolution while at Choke!  Hope to see y'all around more.  Gary, sorry we missed each other and hate to hear you guys got sick.  Not a lot of places to eat around there, and the ones that are there, are suspect.

654B4B49434F401F2E0 said:
hey wackyworm did yall fish above highway 99 any?
Didn't make it up that way due to it being my first time on the lake and the stickups everywhere.  Boat is running well now [highlight]knock on wood[/highlight], didn't want to put it in the shop for a new lower unit.  We heard the water was real muddy up that way due to the rain earlier in the week.  We stuck to the Northeast corner of the lake where we found a lot of grass.  Caught a few fish up Opossum creeek, but didn't find any grass.

I'm planning on going back later in April or early May.  Had a good time.  Recommend staying in the A/C Shelters in Calliham.  Right on the water, easy access to the ramp, and you can beach your boat during the day if you need to take a break.

Take care,

Wurm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.