Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Choke yesterday with a fellow ABFer. Launched at Callihan state park just after 6:00 am. Water temp was 78 degrees. Ran across the lake and started fishing some matted grass. I was thowing a Zara spook around the edges and Acuna was throwing spinnerbait though and around the grass. Well after 45 minutes I had one dink on the spook and Acuna caught 3 or 4, largest around 3.5 . I picked up my SB rod, told him to let me show you how to catch these fish on a SB, BOOM 1st cast a 5 pounder. We fished the same strech of shoreline until about 10:30. We boated 18 fish on our 1st stop. We switched to soft plastics around 9:30. Watermelon red seems to be very productive.

We ended up catching about 50 fish yesterday. 3 fish around 5 pounds. The best 5 would have been 21 pounds. Most of the fish were caught on soft plastic T-rigged around and in the grass. A few fish were caught on deep points on deep diving crank baits.

It was so hot down there, I went for a quick swim. The heat index when we got off the water was 105. The water temp was 85.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4F505C4F4C48544E3D0 said:
Sounds like a great trip!  I'd be swimming with that heat index too.

How deep were you working the SB?  And what weight?  That's a fun bite when it's on.  Thanks for the report.
1/2 oz yellow and white SB, worked in 4 to 8 foot of water with deep water near.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Yeah, it was a sweet time for sure! I worked the SB at a variety of depths, usually about just under half way to the bottom. 1/2 oz bait was what I was throwing but I am sure a variety of weights would have worked.

Fester didn't mention it, but right at the end of the day I flipped to a tree using my T-rig rod that had 12 pound flouro on it... big mistake. Felt the thump, set the hook, and saw a massive fish flashing under water as it wrapped me up. We were both thinking 7-8 pounder when the line snapped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.