Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put a new battery in the boat yesterday and now my on board charger shows a red check connection light. all fuses look good and everything is snugged down good........any ideas?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes ...all the red wires go to the + and all the black wires to the -

yesterday while snugging everything down i threw a good spark and blew a fuse. my wrench handle grounded the + terminal...

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
If you have a 24v trolling motor, are the batteries connected correctly in series?
Or does the TM have a 12V/24V switch?

Sound to me like something is crossed or when it arched, you may have blown a fuse in the charger itself

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just looked up 24 v series and it seems to be wired properly. i have a fuse connection that is questionable. that's probably the problem. can i cut the lead off from the charger and put a pigtail on it with electrical tape?

not worded properly.......can i cut the main wire from the charger that stops at the fuse connection and replace the fuse connection using electrical tape?

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
You want to eliminate the fusable link to the charger?

You can for testing purposes but I wouldn't recommend it for permanent use. Some of the newer on-board chargers have sensitive microprocessors and you could smoke one.

Forgot to ask, are you getting the red LED when the unit is plugged in or un-plugged?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the red light comes on only when plugged in, it takes about ten seconds and then it comes on.
i want to replace the fuse connector, not eliminate it. it comes directly from the charger to the starting battery...battery number 3

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
It's worth a shot...

Electrical problems are tough to diagnose without being hand-on

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i hooked up all three banks one at a time to the new battery and they all showed green"fully charged"
i noticed the wires from my trolling motor are hooked to two different batteries. positve on one and negative on the other. should the trolling motor be connected to the same battery? there is a jumper wire that goes from positive to negative.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
finally got it......it seems the whole thing was wired incorrectly. i thought it was odd that my trolling motor batteries were leaking acid. i sprayed everything down with vinager and water to treat the acid out. the guy that installed my fish finder hooked it up to the trolling motor batteries. no wonder i had so much trouble with it. i guess tomorrow will tell.....hopefully the boat will start :)
thank you for helping me Dustin

·
Administrator
3,640 Posts
24v and 36v systems can get tricky if you have a crossover system before it gets to the batteries or if you have to hook them up in series. Gene and I figure that out the hard way. Glad to hear you got it Matt.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Vinegar is an acid, dissolve a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a big glass of water and pour it all over the terminals and in the batt compartment then rinse..

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vinegar is an acid, dissolve a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a big glass of water and pour it all over the terminals and in the batt compartment then rinse..
oooooof........sum *****......suuuum *****. i put acid on acid.
"junior, when we get home remind me to punch yo mamma in da mouf"

Reactions: tlee_ls1

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i did what you said Dez....you should have seen the foam...there must have been a lot of acid back there
thanks for the tip....

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
You bet Matt. Best to get that stuff out, plays hell on every connection in the battery box. I douse mine on occasion just to keep the connections clean..

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everything worked on the boat today except the hb 998...i guess i'll have to send it in.
i thank ya'll for helping me.
That's what makes this site one of the best on the web....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts