Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hear a lot of talk about inside channel swings lately, but i don't quite know what it means. to me it is a fairly recent (last 5 years) term. will yall try to explain just what am inside channel swing is opposed to an outside channel swing?

bonus points for telling me why fish congregate there or why they are good to fish

appreciate the education. possibly something i've been doing for years, but never called it that.

· Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
For my use, the channel swing is where the original creek or river ditch in an impoundment changes direction. In the screen shot of Stillhouse, the green indicates the inside, typically shallow and in this case covered wit hydrilla. Because the current flow in the channel runs faster around the outside, it carves a steep bluff.
Map World Geological phenomenon Font Terrestrial plant

· Registered
413 Posts
When doing map study I look for channel swing areas like this. Bass are likely to be in areas like this because they have easy access to deep water in all seasons. Schools of baitfish follow the river channel so where it swings near the bank there is a better chance for bass to find food. Also those coves are likely to be good spawning areas.
Ecoregion Map World Slope Organism

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks y'all! I have been fishing that way for a long time, especially the outside channel swing, but I always called that "the wall" and the inside "the shallow". i didnt know there was a technical name for it.

i kept envisioning in my head that it was something different. the still house pic for instance the yellow lines being "inside channel swing" because it is up river from the cove mouth or "inside" and the white line being inside the cove off of a channel swing. boy was I wrong!

Map World Geological phenomenon Terrestrial plant Font

however i really enjoy fishing the white areas especially after a good rain when there is good current. bass seem to attack any bait thrown toward the main lake and retrieved back into the mouth of the cove. the white dot being the boat and the yellow arrow being the direction of retrieve

Map World Geological phenomenon Terrestrial plant Water

1 - 4 of 4 Posts