Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I'm heading there alone since no takers. Should be interesting since it's been so tough down there. The 90 degree temps in the next 2 days might turn them on though.

What happened to your post Master Basser? :eek:

Good luck H2O. We'll see ya down there.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hey, Andy, I think I know that guy!

Thanks, we had a great day on the water. We found a place while pre-fishing that had a little clearer water than much of the lake. Actually, three weeks ago there was a large area with clean water. The rains and winds muddied it when we checked it last week. We searched around and found an area where the hydrilla kept the majority of the water clean.

We fished toads over the grass to start off and had a limit in about twenty minutes. I told Gerald, we may not win but I bet we're having more fun than everyone else! We were culling by ounces all morning with toads and swimbaits and I finally caught a "nice" toad fish around 10am. The kind of vicious strike that will make you throw a topwater all day. At that point we had about 17 pounds in the well. We fished around catching more keepers, but no help. We moved down a grass line a few minutes behind another boat and got to a little deeper cut in the grass. I tossed a Senko in the pocket, felt a tick and set the hook on a 7 pounder. Gerald netted it, threw a swimbait in and yells for the net for a heavy four. We have a real cluster going with dealing with fish, retying, etc... Gerald wisely put down the rod he was retying and cast a Senko in and sets the hook on another 7 pounder. That's almost 19 pounds on three fish in three casts! Now we were sitting on about 26 pounds. We fished around and moved a little shallow when I hear Gerald say whoa. We started pitching to a decent girl on bed. The little male bit pretty quick and while I was unhooking him, Gerald pitched in and got the female to bite. Chaos ensued with a 6 pounder thrashing between trees, brush and the side of the boat. I was trying to unhook the male, so was slow getting to the net. She was hooked well and Gerald wisely swung her in to cull us up to 28+ pounds. We kept fishing hard thinking we were going to get a decent check, but a win wasn't even a thought. Since we were in the first flight, we weighed in early and took over the lead. Our weight was decent, but I'm sure the BassChamps staff thought it would be displaced soon so they didn't take any picture of our stringer. We sat around for an hour and a half sweating bullets watching team after team weigh in before the scales finally closed. It was definitely a great and surprising way to end a really fun day on the water!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks guys. Ed and I have been very fortunate to get to fish BassChamps together. We make a good team with different but complimenting strengths. Yesterday was one of those days where everything just worked out starting with drawing boat number six which happens to be our lowest starting number to date. It goes without saying it was a great day on the water.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Congrats guys on your win. I know it was tought waiting and watching everyone way in saying to yourself is this the one.

Its great that some good ole Austin Boys brought it Home.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Congratulations! What a great feeling that must have been. I can only imagine what it must be like to pull those three fish back-to-back, especially when you are trying to take off the smallish male. Nice story, thanks for sharing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.