Bass Fishing Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
MrTexasFreedom where on Travis are you fishing?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Umm, not sure who you have been talking to bruh, but that lake is full of them. I've literally caught hundreds if not thousands of catfish on Lake Travis. Whenever we fish at night under lights it's not unusual to catch 20+ cats in one night.
Apparently, I wasn't talking to the right people :).
I got some new tips to try out, maybe My next trip will change my mind about Lake Travis.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It’s true there are plenty of catfish to be caught at Lake Travis. They are probably as abundant in Travis as any other lake in Texas. Gwire the people you have been talking with are not fisherman or maybe they are and are just trying to keep you off their spot haha. Last summer I did decent catching em off the banks of Lake Travis. It’s not quite as hot as it was this time last year so I would wait a few more weeks for the lake to stratify if it hasn’t already.

Chappell you were probably fishing too deep where catfish are probably not present. Without electronics however I’m not sure how you can determine the depth of the thermocline in the water because you’re going to want to fish a few feet above it. You may have to continue to adjust the position of your bait until you get a bite so you’ll know what depth to fish from.

Catfish will eat just about anything if they are feeding. Some folks soak hotdogs in Kool-Aid if you want proof. My best tip for summer fishing catfish is not to fish the deepest parts of the lake! If fishing during the day try casting where there are shaded areas including docs.

Also Chappell you are a wild man for taking a kayak into Lake Travis! I have been flipped multiple times in my canoe in Lake Travis.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Also Chappell you are a wild man for taking a kayak into Lake Travis! I have been flipped multiple times in my canoe in Lake Travis.[/QUOTE]

I've never had so much of a problem in Travis as I usually stay towards the bank and off the main lake (mostly in the cypress or sandy creek arm) so the traffic isn't too bad. Took the kayak to LA this morning however and can honestly say I've never seen so many assholes condensed into one small area.

Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Chappell were you catting or bass fishing on LA?

how'd you do?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I was bass fishing. It was my first time trying to punch the grass so I didn't do so well, but early in the morning my buddy and I both hooked up with a 16" and 18" respectively on buzzbaits just at daybreak and he pulled out a couple little guys on money minnows.. We are going out again either tuesday or monday to catfish over on the opposite bank of quinlan most likely.

Off topic for the forum but if anyone can help me with learning how to punch grass it would be much appreciated. If you PM me I can let you know the specific problems I ran into.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
If y'all are going in the evening lemme know and I'll join you.

Catfishing LA is super difficult because of boats passing. The baits rarely get to sit still for more than a few minutes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
very true I was thinking of rigging up one rod with a catfish setup and going out early early morning with my light before any of the boats get there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got on a few cats tonight biggest one was almost 17" and the smallest was 3". No lie. We actually caught a 3 inch catfish on a circle hook. He was a baby and didn't even have his feelers yet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Gwire thanks! I'm all about information. Since I am limited to the bank the more info I get the better. I need to make informative decisions on when to fish and when to stay home and drink you know.
Oh, I know! I have been trying to decode the best times to fish for a while. Some of the models point to July 3rd to July 5th being promising. Peak being around 3pm on July 4th. Lucky for us this is a holiday! It's not iron clad, but I just consider it to be helping your chances. This is a quick easy outline using data from "wild life and weather" Basically based on lunar and solar data.

To drink or to fish is no dilemma. Take the beer with you, and if fishing is slow, crack some cans. Worse case senario, you have a nice night on the water with a few beers. Still not half bad.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm not sure how to upload the photo from my phone but I will keep trying. I'm pretty sure it was a catfish (same body same fins) but I'm no expert

·
Registered
32 Posts
Get a package of hotdogs and go out to sandy creek and chunk them on the bottom were the boatramp is and you will catch either a catfish or a turtle. 60% catfish 40%turtle
I've caught a steady 2-6lbers over there year around

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll come out and join you guys soon. My sons and I are going to start a catfishing vendetta soon. I made some posts here a few months ago to get some intel, but I have had a couple of surgeries sideline my attempts... but I should be out there in about 2 or 3 weeks.

I am going to try some of my catfishing techniques we used in Mississippi for slow or still water. The best fishing was below spillways on major dams and on the Tenn Tom Waterway. Easy to catch a bucket of shad and fish below the spillways. Great spots for whites, crappie and bass as well. But we don't get nearly as much rain here so I will have to go back to my pond, lake and river tricks.

Someone told me in an earlier post it was legal to drop a feeding block and chum for catfish, but I don't remember where they said you could get the blocks. I would like to try dropping one out in the morning or mid day and coming back late in the day and fishing on into the evening. I also have to find some info on which parks you can stay all evening at.

Someone else pointed out that the cats shouldn't be in the deep water. That should be correct. They should be looking for spawning areas if they aren't already on the spawn. I found fishing patterns here run just a hair sooner than back in Mississippi and there it was about mid May when the cats were holed up on stump flats or rocks in shallower water to spawn.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Off topic for the forum but if anyone can help me with learning how to punch grass it would be much appreciated. If you PM me I can let you know the specific problems I ran into.
Search the Tips and Techniques board for "punching grass" and you'll find a bunch of threads with specific info on punching.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts