Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to go with a couple friends tomorrow to haul in some catfish or bass. I have kayaks so that is an option if you know a place that doesn't have public access. I'm hoping to go somewhere on lake travis in the Cedar Park/Jonestown/Lakeway areas so if you have any places let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
This won't be much help but here goes.

I've catfished Travis a few times from my yak and from the bank at Pace Bend. I always catch cats and Guads at the entrance of coves the wind is blowing into.

Also a report I read recently says that 40FOW is the target depth for cats right now. So I'd look for 40 FOW near the entrance of a cove the wind is blowing into.

Can't help with the launch cause I've been using my friends house to do that.

Good luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much. This will probably sound like a very dumb question, but I am inexperienced.... How do I know how deep it is and what does FOW mean? wow i feel dumb

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Well I have a fish finder on my yak.

The only other way I know how to do it is to take a rope, mark off 10 feet long sections and lower it to see where you are. Might as well just put the marking on your anchor line.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Anytime.

Good luck and maybe I'll join you on Travis one day, I'm giving up on catfishing Lake Austin pretty soon

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds good to me. I'll let you know how I do out there tomorrow so you can know if it will be worth your while

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
can I get a cc on that PM pretty please

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got skunked. must have been doing something wrong. it was a busy day out on LT so that might have been a problem. when you say cut shad, does the catfish dough that says "bloody shad" count? i used that today and was having A TON of trouble getting it to stay on the darn hook. oh well, will probably be out tomorrow night to try again. is there any differences to catfishing at night?

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
cut shad is a dead shad cut in half.

You were using dough bait, they make special hooks to keep it on, never used it myself personally

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I never fish with dough bait. I guess it works, but I prefer fresh dead perch or live perch. Also the chicken fajita marinated thigh meat from HEB works well. Put a chunk of chicken about the size of a half dollar on a circle hook.

And yes Blaster is right when I said in PM use cut shad, I meant throw a cast net, get a bunch of shad, cut up chunks of shad and put that on your hook. Or bring a little rod and reel with mustad cricket hooks (this is a long shank bream hook), and catch little perch on chunks of worm. Then cut up those perch and put them on the circle hook. You can also use very small live perch as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Lake Travis is a Amazing Lake, there are catfish, but I never really hear of it being a popular lake for catfishing. I was talking to one of the Park rangers there, He showed me the deep water areas cast able from the bank. I was able to find a spot 100ft (estimating based on how little line was left on the spool). I have heard Divers tell stories of Catfish as big as man in Travis. But, very rarely do I hear people catching one. If you want to Yak around, Travis is great, if you want to catch catfish, There are some great lakes for cat fishing but they can be a full day trip. I hear they are tearing them up in Eagle Mountain lake (3.5 hours),

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Umm, not sure who you have been talking to bruh, but that lake is full of them. I've literally caught hundreds if not thousands of catfish on Lake Travis. Whenever we fish at night under lights it's not unusual to catch 20+ cats in one night.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts