Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase a catfish rod for larger catfish and carp 6-20lb+ I will have a casting reel put on it. I have no clue what rod to get besides that it needs to be med/heavy. Price range would be <100$(50$ more preferable). Thanks for advice in advance.

Nate

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In addition, would like help on a reel. Do i need just a regular casting reel or should I get a trolling reel?
Price range <75$

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use a medium heavy ugly stik that works great but im also wanting a new set up. Hopefully someone chimes in. I dont know much about catfish set ups

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully John will sneak his opinion in here. I know he used to fish out at mansfield dam where ill be going.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
It really depends on how you are fishing, and what you are fishing for. First off I will say most rods that you are going to find at Academy, Walmart, or Cabelas or wherever that say "catfish rod" are pretty much junk. That being said if you want to get a catfish rod you don't have to spend that much money. If you are mostly targeting smaller 2-7 pound catfish then you really don't want a big medium heavy rod, you want something smaller and lighter where you can really feel anything, even the smallest bites.

In that case I'd look at an Ugly Stick GX2 in the 7 foot medium action. That's a good all around rod for all sized catfish really, they sell for like $39.

Ugly Stik® GX2? Casting Rod | Ugly Stik®

If you are going to be going after really big blues and flatheads then you are probably want to jump up to to a medium heavy rod.

This is a good two piece MH rod, nice and long, $69:

Catfish Rod | Chad Ferguson | Whisker Seeker Tackle

Ugly stick also makes an 8 foot Catfish Rod, it's a two piece rod that is little cheaper. (they also have this in 7 feet one piece, but I like longer rods when I go medium heavy)

Ugly Stik® Catfish Casting Rod | Ugly Stik®

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up with an Ugly Stick Catfish rod and an AbuGarcia Ambassadaur 6600 troll casting reel. Together, they ran me about 100-120 total. Went out and caught one good yellow cat(3lb) and a small blue at an inlet my buddy lives off of.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Always good on boards like this when advice is asked for, received, and executed with a successful outcome. Nice work!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use a medium heavy ugly stik that works great but im also wanting a new set up. Hopefully someone chimes in. I dont know much about catfish set ups
As a side note, Academy off of Brodie sells a catfish combo with a trollcasting reel for 59.99. I cant find it online or id link it for you

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Those look like nice rods as well Jay.

In that case I'd look at an Ugly Stick GX2 in the 7 foot medium action. That's a good all around rod for all sized catfish really, they sell for like $39.

Ugly Stik® GX2? Casting Rod | Ugly Stik®
As a quick follow up, I was in Academy 183/Oak Knoll yesterday, and they had 2 of the 7 foot GX2s in medium action and 1 of the 7 foot GX2 in medium heavy.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
They're great for striper fishing as well.
Also use them for trolling striper umbrella rigs and deep diver three ways with line counter reels.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Yeah as much as I love Shimano products, the Ambassadeurs are really popular catfish reels. If you look at people who run catfish guide trips, just about all of them have some type of Ambassadeur reels. Even the S ($69) or the SX is a good catfish reel, that you can get in the ABU 6500 size (about 220 yards of 17 pound mono).

The Shimano equivalent in price for that style of reel would be the Corvalus 300, which actually is a little smaller and holds less line. To get a barrel reel that same size you would need to jump to the Shimano 400 size (Shimano 400= Abu 6500), which would be a Cardiff A 400, at $120. Considering most catfishing setups are about best bang for your buck, might as well get an Ambassadeur S 6500 for $69. I'm sure somebody who knows a lot more about reels than I do could tell you why the Cardiff is a better reel, but we are talking about dropping line and wenching in catfish. You just need something that can get the job done, and that's why the Abus are very popular with catfishing.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The Abu C3s or 4s are like a zippo. Compared to everything else that's a bic.
If the Abu breaks, and that's if.... parts are plentiful. I sent my old ones to TurboFred in Red Oak. They now sing like Carolyn Wonderland after he super tuned them. Can't even hardly tell I'm turning the handles.
I use Diawa Sealines for line counters, they're good but kind of wish I'd got the Abu LCs. More available parts.
Those Abus are just TANKS!!
I even use a 4600 for throwing lmb a-rigs every year on Bastrop for schoolers. Yeah it's a little heavy on the Pro Angler but when 2-3lbers hit the rig, I just winch em on in!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts