Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to the lake at 5pm and the prevailing wind was at full honk. The water looked like Galveston Island beach chop. I tried making long casts with the 1/8 oz TR BBB magnum finesse Cane Stick, and I would overrun the spool half the time. After an hour, I decided to change to the BBB PDQ that I caught the good'un here last week. I snagged it, broke off and mulled my options.

It's been a couple years since I've used a big 1/4 ounce lead bullet. I mainly use 1/16oz, 1/8 if I'm going for a faster fall rate. The wind gusted up and made up my mind. I went for it: 1/4 oz bullet, 10mm faceted red glass bead and 0000 EWG hook.

Stick worms cast so good but the water was so muddy I needed something with some flap. I chose the GrandeBass green pumpkin 8" Megatail Rattlesnake. The megatail doesn't fly as far as the tailless Rattlesnake, but I figured the heavy bullet could get it almost there.

I started getting strikes on the Megatail and got a fun fish. I missed several strikes. On one hard strike, I got back only a hook's length of worm. I threaded on a fresh one and cast it out far. I hopped it once and felt something right, even through the big belly in my line. I reeled down, rared back and got a solid hookset. Oh man, this one started pulling hard. And then jumped.

I was glad I was using casting gear with 12 pound Berkely Big Game monofilament. I turned the fish and brought her to hand. This is my Personal Best while wading. I enlisted a cameraman and then carried the fish back to the water. If I wanted fillets, I'd go to the steps. I released the fish and went home to a chicken dinner.
IMG_20170320_191345195_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Solid fish, Jermey - well done! I was at that same spot Sunday morning and only managed a couple dinks in the wind. I put on a 1/16oz bullet, but maybe should have opted for a larger one. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts