Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been spending more time at the C&R recently. I had the nice fishing trip last Thursday evening that I posted about. Yesterday, my son’s music school had their Spring Recital at the C&R pavilion. Ordinarily the recital would be at a church, but due to these unprecedented times, blah, blah, blah. Nevertheless, fourteen kids aged six to fourteen performed. My son played his piano pieces flawlessly, his instructor beaming with pride and some of the attendees moved to tears. I am very proud of my son.

I took this morning off from fishing to spend time with family. At 5pm, I lashed the yak to the hoopty and drove to the park. As I rolled down the path, a man relaxing at a picnic table wished me luck. I thanked him and launched the yak.

The wind calmed and the shallows were slick. I had a brand new 301 5” Yamasenko wacky rigged. I thought, this little reed point is the most obvious and most cast at spot in the lake. Which is exactly why I cast to it. I have learned not to skip “obvious” cover because I think it might be heavily pressured by anglers. I made a short roll cast of about fifteen feet that landed a foot from the reeds. A thick reed in a clump three feet away got tail slapped and then my lure was intercepted. I rolled up slack and swung on a very short line. I felt large weight and big steady head shake. The water frothed and boiled as man and beast battled it out. I’m using fifteen pound Seaguar flouro and 3/0 Octopus so I’m not trying to “play down” the fish. I’m gonna git her in the yak. She dragged me up in the reeds and I’m swinging my rod this way and that. She’s bashing the yak and juking for the reeds. I’m turning the reel against tight drag and not putting line on the spool. She swam under the yak and I turned her. She yawned repeatedly, and when I’d let go of the reel to lip her, she’d pucker up! Finally, my timing was right and I grabbed her open jaw.

I know y’all would never believe me unless I had a pic. I was ten paddle strokes from my launch site, so I headed for shore. I pulled the yak out and carried the hammer over to the old man at the picnic table. I thanked him again for wishing me luck and then asked a favor, “Could you take my picture and text it to me?”

Her said, “I would, but I don’t know how to text.”

I asked some teenagers laying on a quilt under a tree if they could take my picture and text it to me. I ran back to the water’s edge and released the hammer. I relaunched and got six more on senko. Off at 7pm.
6349853D-DFAF-4379-83D3-F5ED047CD777.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
“That is almost like asking a man what size his wife wears, or exactly what bait, what size line, how fast of a retrieve...”

LOL, welder! Thanks for the laugh. In polite society asking for the location of fishing spot seems rude or at best, naive. I think people believe in the forum format that questions obligate answers, even when it gets personal. I use to answer these questions automatically. However, I cannot recall a single instance of quid pro quo, “Hey Jeremy, thanks for the location, you should try __ lake by my house.”

1 - 9 of 9 Posts