Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just tried to fly fish the creek by the house.

First issue is didn't want to get wet, so instead of wading in the creek, I'm trying to cast from the bank.

Second issue is the trees, bushes, etc.

How are you supposed to cast with trees above you and to your side?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Lots of wrist action, limited backswing, learning to use your off hand to cast. Really like any other thing a little practice is all you need. Scratch that I just realized you were talking about a fly rod. just break that rod in half :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use 7.5' rods for tight cover, forecast and backcast go up and down the creek where it's open, not behind you into the brush. If you have the space to have a good 20' of line out, a roll cast can work, assuming you don't have a big heavy fly on the end of it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Lots of wrist action, limited backswing, learning to use your off hand to cast. Really like any other thing a little practice is all you need. Scratch that I just realized you were talking about a fly rod. just break that rod in half :D
That is my problem when fly fishing; I forget I am fly fishing and start casting like it was a spinning reel.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wanted to clarify that I didn't post this as a joke. I put a (slightly) better reel on it and use it in creeks or anywhere I don't have much room to cast. It doesn't have enough backbone to set the hook on anything large. I've caught bass up to 4 lbs on it though. But mostly I use it for goofing off and catching sunfish in creeks on my lunch break. This rod is in my car at all times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts