Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get peoples inputs on what size trolling motor I would need for my 2018 jvx 18 website says boat weights at aprox 1100 and I have a 60 hp Suzuki on it maybe about 250poiunds or so just curious if I could use a 55 lb or will I need to upgrade to 70 lb

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've got a kenner 180vx with 90hp on it. Probably 1800lb all total with a large wind profile. I was given a 24v motorguide 54lb and it does just fine. I used a 36lb for a long time, that was marginal but ok. More is always better and my recent experience says 24V is best.

·
Administrator
3,640 Posts
I would say if you're going to a 24v system get as much muscle as you can, if you can afford it. Minnkota goes up to 80lbs I believe on a 24v system, better to have it and not need it rather than the other way around.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you don't mind buying used you can probably get a deal now. Many guys are updating to the ipilot versions and are getting rid of their existing stuff. I agree the more the better, especially if you are fishing down at the coast in a strong wind or current like at the jetties. You may want the longer shaft too so it doesn't come out of the water in those waves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts