Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Down here at Canyon for a week with the Fam. Trying to learn the Lake a little. Anybody fish here recently? Seems like most of the fish are way up at the upper end.

Any tips would be nice. This is a sweet lake and looks like it should hold some nice fish.

EA

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have not fished it in a while but the main lake holds plenty of fish too. I would through shad cranks and finese / dropshot baits. There are a lot of smallies too. The trees are tempting but I have always had my best luck around other cover such as bluff walls. Night fishing can be pretty good too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I remember a post from about a year ago wherein some bass club put out alot of brush piles on Canyon Lake. Try to do a search or talk to some of the Park guys out there to find out some of the locations. That is where the fish will be.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try, I am getting smoked out here. It is a super nice Lake and should hold good fish. Just cannot find them so far.

Thanks,

EA

·
Registered
194 Posts
Last year those structures were not holding fish yet - too new I think. If you can find it I would head back into turkey cove - it forks and there is a nice secondary point. There is not much cover on the point (but there is one of those fishing structures down there somewhere) but the sides have some nice trees and I would think the fish would be staging along that point on their way out to the main lake. I would also be using a lot of watermelon red w/ chart tail - there is a good perch pattern out there that should pick up soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Canyon Lake is TUFF!

I've been there a number of times and have never scored big...only one or two bass per time...one time I got nuttin.

I can't figure it out, either. There are always good reports and everything about this lake, but I think they're from people who own the bait shops or guide services.

I have yet to meet anyone who has really done well there.

Let me know if you crack it.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We ran all over the Lake today, some spots produce a dink or two.

Then, as storms were approching, we we off the ramp in in 14 to 17' of water and hit em on Sweet beavers ;D.

Gary got a 3.5lb and I had a 2. He had several other come off.

We are going to keep trying.

EA

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Left Canyon Lake this AM. Such a nice Lake, I cannot wait to get back. Figured where the fish were. Caught this one 4.89 lbs on a white buzz bait. ;D

This is also Gary's best fish on a sweet beaver. 3.15.

If you plan to go there sometime, send me a note and I will tell you where they are at.

EA

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My buddy just picked the fish out of the water and he is on his knees. As you can see in the top pic, it is not too high. I am 6'3 and the rear seat is set to low for me.

EA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts