Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we scouted the boat ramps along the southern shoreline, ramps 1-10. Ramp #1 looked like the North Shore on Oahu. Ramp #2 looked appealing to me, close, calm and free. The gate gal at Comal Park refused us a free lookee loo at Ramps #3 & #4, but I could see from the gatehouse that they were worth the $10 entry. I think #5 and #6 could be closed. We did not drive to #7 or #8. The salesgirl at Cranes Mill Marina said Ramp #9 is for marina members only.

Ramp #10 is an ACE ramp. $5 entry. The upstream swing around the Cranes Mill peninsula was protected from the sustained NW wind. My family went with me this morning and my extended family joined us a little later.

After flipping a coin with his mother, my son joined me in the Pond Prowler and we launched around 8:30 AM. Yesterday’s NW wind had shifted NE and the wind funneled into the canyon. I trolled across looking for lee, but found none, so I headed back closer to the ramp. I anchored in 20 FOW but the anchor could not grab because of the wind driven waves but it slowed our drift. The boy was throwing a small paddle tail and said he got struck, so I got optimistic. I was fishing a drop-shot on the outside edge of a hydrilla patch. I had missed a couple bites when I got a good tap. I reel set and the fight was on. The boy was as excited as I was. The fish jumped near the boat and then made multiple stubborn drag pulling runs to the bottom. I lipped the fish and I was so happy. My first time fishing at this lake and my first fish is a five pound five ounce largemouth. I was stoked.

My son hooked a fun fish but lost it boat side. I went to the shore to hand out poles to the rest of my family. My son jumped in the yak while my Dad got the front seat of the Pond Prowler. My son turtled the yak. Luckily, Dad and I were nearby. We trolled over and righted the yak and pulled the boy into the yak. We instructed him to go to shore and dry off while we stayed and fished.

I gave my Dad a Ned rig set-up. He is not an angler, but a very adventurous 85 years young. He hooked one and lost it boatside, but got the next one to the boat. I boated a couple cutie-pies with DS. By now everyone was ready for lunch so we loaded out and went to Wildflours for a delicious lunch.
DBF481EF-98CC-4ADF-BB48-82EC734EE02A.jpeg
12595633-6227-410C-8D83-1DB998B98F95.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks welder, we are having a blast. Everyone got their fishing licenses for this trip, so it was fun to see Dad catch a fish.

A couple of ramp clarifications:

Ramp #10 is pretty awesome, but The ACE website says that it is closed on the weekends. The gate house attendant says that she won’t let people in during the week without an RV or a boat.

The attendant at Comal Park (County Park) says her ramps (#3 and #4) are open but the courtesy docks are currently unusable due to low water level.

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to Ramp #1 after dinner. Ramp #1 was hoppin! The parking lot was full to the top. Every kind of watercraft imaginable was launching. The water was very calm today and the boaters were making the best of it. A seaplane flew over and landed north of the ramp.

I found a little patch of hydrilla while walking the bank. I cast a senko into it and caught a cutie pie. Daylight was fading. Some bank anglers were getting set up for the night as I walked up to the parking lot.
2423A410-67E8-4AE8-AE3B-B9348FB26F28.jpeg

·
Registered
508 Posts
Great report Jeremy. I love it when families go out like that. Really enjoyed seeing 3 generations fishing together. I know you will cherish that memory for a long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts