Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to take my 3-year-old son out cane pole bank fishing around Austin. Not trying to catch trophies. Just want to get him excited about throwing a baited hook in the water and pulling out a perch or bluegill. Any suggestions for bait and locations appreciated.

He's not coordinated enough yet to work a reel. That's why we're planning for simple cane pole approach from bank.

thanks in advance,

mtf

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cane pole or similiar without a reel. The little ones just wanna crank the handles if there's a reel.

Meal worms if you can find them or small red worms for bait below small split-shot or two under a medium sized float/bobber.

Maybe someone else can chime in with locations to bank fish with kids.

·
Registered
668 Posts
i started all 6 of my GKs between 2 & 3. This time of the year it is a bit tough but the easiest place to go is in the back of River Place off RR2222. There is a little park there and a creek flows into Lake Austin. Also there is a pond across the road that feeds the creek. It is a water reclamation pond from the sewer system in RP. Of course when there was grass the fishing was MUCH better but some perch can be had even now. The park is nice because it has water fountains, flush toilets and huge shad trees (pecans). Also a great play-scape for when the fish don't bite. Public park, no fees. River Place Blvd dead ends into Big View. Take a right and the park is about a mile on the left right on the creek.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Where are you? Central Austin? N/S? There's quite a few spots along the hike & bike around Lady Bird Lake.

You can usually get meal worms, earthworms, and crickets at pet stores. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great tips, thanks!

Thanks for all the great advice. We had a successful father-son fishing weekend.

Saturday- bought a mini-zebco combo against my own judgement. I wanted to keep it simple cane pole because I knew the reel would be to distracting and add an additional challenge to getting the hook in the water. Turns out, my 3-year-old figured out how to cast and when to let go of the button. That was very cool.

Went to Mueller pond and fished with store-bought earthworms. No bites from various spots around the pond. Still had fun, though.

Sunday- followed advice here from Turbobassman and went to the public park on Woodland Park @ River Place (Big View Dr, Austin, TX 78730). What a nice park! Fished around the edge of the pond and can see the abundant moss due to rich sewer water runnoff. Saw a big snapper and a bunch of readeared turtles, but no bites. Another kid caught a couple of small bass using topwater lures. We were using mealworms. Then moved over to the creek part that runs into Lake Austin. My son reeled in a tiny perch using my rod. Then we wrapped up with some time on the playground.

I really like that park. Very peaceful and pretty.

Thanks for the guidance!

Rock Tree Font Geology Plant community Water Lake Reservoir Pond Water resources Body of water Tree Natural landscape Nature Bank Body of water Water resources Nature Natural landscape Water Fish Child Play Bluegill Perch

·
Registered
668 Posts
Nice Job!! I think you my have a fishing partner. I fished this week with my oldest grand son, 19, my youngest grandson, 12 and my only son (age not disclosed). Fishing with friends is GREAT. Fishing with family is HEAVEN.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts