Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the month of March, I've been exploring new water at the C&F Pond which is two towns over. Tonight I wanted easy close-by fishing. Last night, Academy cheerfully warranty replaced my leaking waders. I made the three minute drive to the C&R to baptize the new waders.

I got what had to be a perch strike on a stickbait a couple casts in, so that was encouraging anyway. I moved to the next spot and got a fun fish on a BBH.

I moved on to the primary spot. Normally I pretty much blitzkreig this prime LMB habitat, because I know the other locals pressure it good. Today I did it a little different.

Since I hadn't been here in a month, I crept in and stopped behind some emergent grass. I rigged a green pumpkin GrandeBass Rattlesnake texposed. When I texpose a Rattlesnake pushing the hook through three or more rings, it is amazingly weedless.

I pitched a clump of bulrush, threading through some timber and fence posts. A fish short-lined me, ran for open water and jumped off. OK, I'll try again.

I made the same pitch and landed inches from the bulrush. I had that odd feeling of "where's my bait?" so I slammed the rod back and got a hook-set. The fish surged for the reeds, but I was already moving towards him, reeling furiously. He couldn't wrap my line and I got him up. Cowabunga!
IMG_20170404_190748978.jpg

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
...Awfully skinny.
I need to brush up on my photography skills. I'm hanging a solid fish there that could yield two nice fillets if wasn't against the peace and dignity of the state.

I titled the post "Return of the Hammer" because I named the fish Hammer when I caught him last spring. http://www.austinbassfishing.com/forum/bank-fishing-reports/49062-c-r-pond-hammer.html

Here he is in May of last year, a couple ounces heavier since it is a month and a half further into spring.
IMG_20160523_194110840.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts