Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chock Full of Bass! I went to the Catch & Fillet pond today after work. The fish are in skinny water. I mean knee deep or less. These bruisers are crushing the speed worm. The entire twenty pack of watermelon UV worm has been obliterated.

I opened the green pumpkin UV worm pack and it was on. No wind this evening made sneaking up on them a little tougher, but I managed to fool a good'un and some cutie-pies.
IMG_20170524_201706108.jpg

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This evening a nice breeze muddied up the C&F. I tossed the magworm while I looked for some clearer water. With the sun shining til 9pm, I had time to find it.

Todd had told me he'd done good at his neighborhood pond with a lipless, so I tied on a rippin' rap. I found some grass in clearer water and got a bump. I stopped and pitched the grass. I caught six fun fish in that grass.
IMG_20170612_195255703.jpg

·
Registered
287 Posts
This evening a nice breeze muddied up the C&F. I tossed the magworm while I looked for some clearer water. With the sun shining til 9pm, I had time to find it.

Todd had told me he'd done good at his neighborhood pond with a lipless, so I tied on a rippin' rap. I found some grass in clearer water and got a bump. I stopped and pitched the grass. I caught six fun fish in that grass.
View attachment 33849
Dang Jeremy. You're a monster!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang Jeremy. You're a monster!
Thanks, stcow1! I know you used to fish these waters around here regularly. I tell you, I drive by four or five premium bass fishing spots to get to this one, because it is knock your socks off at the C&F!

I got home from work and did my chores. I looked at the rippin rap and decide to retie it for performance advantage. I let the rush-hour pass. I tossed the waders in the car and made the commute to the C&F. Last night, I saw a regular local yakker making the rounds, but tonight I had the lake to myself.

There was no summer breeze tonight, only a prairie honk that was gusting up to twenty at times. I made some perfunctory casts towards cutie-pie corner before heading for the grass where the fun-fish from yesterday are prowling. The rippin rap launches like a Super Hornet from a carrier deck, but the gusts were swatting it down causing frustrating overruns. I was close to calling it when the rap got hammered by a good'un!

The fun-fish had moved out and the bruisers were back. Another brute slammed the rap on the run a ways out. This fish was absolutely unconcerned about being hooked. She swam towards me while I kept a bend in the rod. She got close enough to short line me and with one practiced head shake, she was gone. I never saw her.

I cast back out rippin grass and get a good strike. This fish jumps and I see its a big'un. The rippin rap has the tiniest #8 trebles. Three more heart-stopping jumps and the fish is played out. I get the pic and release the fish. I could stay for the last hour of twilight, but you know I'm good so I pack it up and head for the car.
IMG_20170613_193810498_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170613_200018164.jpg
IMG_20170613_200035345.jpg

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tonight, I didn't even retie. I used to go on about Big Game mono, but there is better line out there. I haven't broke off yet using the house brand flouro I'm using, so I pull-tested on the zona knot and headed for the C&F.

The water was a sight clearer and the wind was steady without so many gusts. A couple in a canoe made the rounds, the man instructing the female in the bow to make her cast this and her retrieve that. I went back to the same grass.

The wind had shifted more from the south. I had difficulty making the nice quartering cast over the target area. I still got strikes, but the bruisers have left and the fun-fish are back. Not to make too many excuses, but three days straight throwing the lipless into the prevailing wind has caused a muscle in my back to tighten up. I had a good'un shake off and called it for the night after only an hour of trying.
IMG_20170614_192447387.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts