Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Todd and I brought only minimal tackle. The majority of gear we brought was to shelter and feed our families in the Canyon of the Eagles’ primitive tent camping sites that are adjacent to Chimney Slough. We set up camp in the dark Friday evening. We all circled around the campfire. I told tales of local events, as truthful as my fishing reports. I started with Buchanan UFO abductions, Conquistadores’ Indian massacres, cartel drug wars, missing Audubon birdwatchers, and finally, a Striped Bass tournament angler with the winning stringer who’s boat sank out from under him while in Chimney Slough. He is seen from time-to-time at the Canyon of the Eagles, dragging a string of large fish behind him as he searches for the weigh-in. If you smell fish in the night, just run!

Everyone but Todd, his youngest and myself elected to go hiking Saturday morning, they were looking for the eagle nesting areas. Our tent sites were right at the very back of Chimney Slough, with a nice bramble buffer between us and the backwater. We walked to an unoccupied campsite that had easy access to the water’s edge. Todd studied the shoreline. He pointed across the slough at an outcropping a half-mile away and said, “I want to fish that point.”

We hiked around the pocket, no mud or creek to fight through. We started fishing our way out, leap-frogging each other, Todd casting shakeyhead and I was casting WW senko. I made a short cast to a submerged tree next to a steep bank. My senko was struck and I brought to hand a very clean and beautiful two-and-a-half pound largemouth. Heck, yeah!

This slough is very shallow. We were targeting the stick-ups or any other possible breaks. I was slowed by breaking off and having to retie. Todd got a couple hundred feet ahead of me. I was sitting on driftwood tying up and I heard Todd holler. He had made it to his destination point. I saw splashing as he reeled in a keeper sized fun-fish he’d hooked with a TR BBH. Neither of us was skunked!

We hiked back for lunch with our families. After lunch, my son and I rolled the disco yak to the shoreline. I let him paddle thru the timber while I cast out and caught a cutie-pie on the senko. I took my turn in the yak and paddled the entire eastern shoreline of Chimney Slough and could not put a fish in the yak! I did have a fun-fish short line my TR trick worm and jump off boat side.

We had another great night around the campfire. We ate s’mores and laughed at my son’s selling the attributes of his Big Daddy (flashlight). This was my first time at Buchanan. I would love to come back here soon, for fishing, camping or both.
Water Sky Smile Vertebrate Cap

·
Registered
320 Posts
Nice outing with the families. Surprised that you have never fished the Buch...last time I was there the bro in law got a striper on the baby rattlesnake. A big lake with some great fishing, but above all it is a hill country beauty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts