Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I live on Brushy Creek, I was worried about the fish kill, and wanted to do a little bass fishing:

"A chemical spill kills fish in Brushy Creek. A Cedar Park water reclamation plant spilled 4 thousand gallons of sodium hypochlorite into the creek this weekend killing hundreds of fish. City officials say a broken pipe is what caused the spill and is now fixed. Officials with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality say the spill was not a threat to the public. The city has already cleaned up the dead fish from the creek"

Not sure if they plan on restocking, but I hope so.

Regardless, I fished for about 2 hours with a 3/4 ounce Nichols Spinnerbait with only one short fish. I started complaining after I missed a fish but right when the spinnerbait got to the boat he ripped my arm off. Was an easy 5-6lber with a big belly. Then I noticed he had a small bass hanging out of his mouth...gotta love how they stuff themselves:

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, he was hungry..not sure why though...guess he wanted to stuff himself like I did this weekend.
;-)

I think the spill happened June 28th. Hope it doesn't affect the fishing. May be a good time to call the activists if so. ;-)

Anyone know if they still complain about bringing trolling motors out to Brushy Creek Park?

· Registered
1,182 Posts
This is horrible news, I do a lot of fishing in that area. I read that article, and looked on google earth,       Fish were killed about a quarter of a mile downstream from the plant, which is located at 2315 U.S. 183A, well, 2315 is 183, so that means, it's at 183 and 183A and Avery Ranch, so that means, this is right next to the tank, the YMCA pond back there, that whole creek system, goes all the way to Brushy Creek Lake, and just keeps going I think all the way down brushy creek road.

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Response I received from the Parks Dept:

Hello Robert, Trolling motors are not allowed due in large part to the size and depth of the lake. It is very shallow in most places and it's small size allows navigation by paddle. The turbidity would be increased tremendously with any propellers.Contamination chances are reduced and physical fitness is increased by having a paddle only lake.

The fish may be restocked by TPWD. They manage the lake and following surveys, may restock if needed. The fish killed were not found East of the Parmer Lane bridge. For the most part, the chlorine had dissipated before reaching the main basin of the lake. Please let me know if you have additional questions. Curt Randa

· Registered
550 Posts
that is good to know. my last post on this topic i meant to say every summer. im a dummy. there parts of that water in the very middle less than half a foot of water it is even hard to get paddling through there. it prolly best to keep the trolls off it save you some money, or a chipped up prop

· Registered
550 Posts
THERE IS A LITTLE CHANNEL ON THE DAM SIDE. LEADS TO A LITTLE TANK ON ONE OF THE AVERY RANCH COURSE HOLES. CAUGHT ATLEAST ONE GOOD SIZE KEEPER FROM THERE EVERY TIME. ITS KIND OF HARD TO GET TO WITHOUT A YAK OR ACCESS TO THE COURSE.

HEY BASS MAN DO YOU LIVE NORTH OR SOUTH OF PARMER ON THE CREEK? I USED TO LIVE RIGHT DOWN OFF HAIRY MAN BY TONKAWA SPRINGS. ALWAYS HAD GOOD LUCK UP THAT WAY.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.