Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
pretty much caught all these on the worm you see in the pictures. at night i use black crawdad imitation plastics. 3/0 to 4/0 hook a little weight above the worm all different types of retrieves.old settler produced a bass or two every other time i went, they where not that big but it produced. i have recently started fishing at Brushy creek and had a lot more luck there. i caught three my first day a nice small mouth and two little largemouth all on the same worm. didn't weigh the bigger one what do yall think he weighs?

4/16/2014 brushycreek best catch
IMG_15271.jpg
oldsettlers best catch
IMG_14321.jpg

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the report. I can't really get a perspective to guess the weight on your PB. wiscobass' guess is as good as any.

I live in Pflugerville, but I've never fished those two spots. I'm hoping to try them before summer starts.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Welcome to the board Brandon.great pics and purty fish.I tried Brushy Creek this morning for the first time ever and got skunked from the bank. I shall return though with my kayak. Keep catching em and TFTR! Gil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so here is the one i thought was a small mouth. let me know if its not im kinda a newb. thanks every one for checking out my post!

20140415_1420411.jpg

·
Registered
331 Posts
Purdy light colored largemouth. I've caught plenty of smallmouth in my old state (Wisconsin).

The linked illustration is how I was taught as a kid to differentiate between a large and smallmouth
but nowadays I can instantly tell by body proportions/profile and coloring/markings:
http://everything-smallmouth.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/small_vs_large.gif

Was hoping you did catch a smallmouth at Brushy, they're by far my favorite bass. I hear Belton
and Georgetown hold smallmouth.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Wisconsin, Belton has some super nice smallmouth. I used to fish that lake as I lived close up in Bell county. Has some spots that are smallmouth motels. I love to fight em, pound for pound they are super fun to scrap with on lighter tackle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
wiscobass thanks that was helpful.

i got skunked for three days at brushy creek but finaly caught one off the dock today. same place a caught the light colored largmouth. it was on the same texas rig senko watermelon and white colored. I cast about 30 feet out and to the left side of the dock and first cast i felt him hit on the way down and then eat on the retrieve... only catch of the day lol but it was pretty nice.

unrelated question did i miss the white bass runt his year already any one know?

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Ummmm, sorry boys, but that's not even a Guad. That's straight Largemouth. It's just small with a very light coloration.

Come on guys, does it have stripes on it's belly? Is it covered in spots? Then it's not a guad, Mr. Meine is correct what you have there is a very light colored large mouth bass.

Sexy time guad...

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Yup, that's also a Largemouth. Largemouths and Smallmouths are easier to distinguish between the two, but Guads (or Spots) and Largemouths can be a little trickier for the untrained eye / novice fisherman. Once you are as trophy as austinjohn and others and have boated thousands upon thousands of Guads, Largemouths, and Smallmouths it becomes pretty easy to identify the different species just with a quick glance. There's several methods for being able to tell the difference between the various species, but really the easiest way is to just catch hundreds of each species so you see them over and over again and you'll just instinctively know what they are... :cool: Don't worry, you'll get there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well that's slightly embarrassing :p haha. Thanks Biznuss and yeah i just started fishing like a month a go. well besides with my dad as kid a couple times and i already know more then him now lol. at this point i'm happy as long as am catching something. i caught another one yesterday right of the dock again same spot same bate this one was a little a bigger.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts