Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fly fisherman was making casts as I pulled into the parking spot. I grabbed my rod and walked down as he was stowing his gear. I asked if he’d gotten any bites. He said no, but that he was a little rusty and needed the practice. I asked if I could have his spot and he said sure. I had about forty minutes to fish. The chirp of the cicadas drowned out the roar of the falls.

I made twenty or so casts with a Road Runner. I was snagging wood and rocks on nearly every casts, but I was always able to free it with a couple of pops. Every now and again, I’d put the pliers on the hook to restore the belly. Then I triple wrapped a Caladium a couple feet in front of me and broke off, dang it.

I tied up a Texas rig, really light: 1/32oz bullet, 8mm bead, 2/0 J-hook. 4.5” straight tail worm. Cast out, snagged, and broke off. Shoot.

I glanced at my watch. I had ten more minutes. I went back into the small case and had to size up a bit: 1/16oz bullet, 8mm bead, 3/0 EWG hook, 4.5” worm. Cast out, snagged and broke off. This is the challenge of bank fishing!

I set to work on my last hurrah: 1/16 oz bullet, 10mm bead, 4/0 EWG hook (kind of big for), my last 4.5” straight tail worm. My little box was nearly empty.

A family of photographers were taking nature photos. I was hoping to give them something to take a picture of. I cast in front them and hopped the worm back. The worm was struck. I ra’red back and exclaimed, “Got him!” The fish jumped and took drag. I stepped laterally to a clearing and landed the fish. I hoisted the largemouth and the folks snapped some pics. No time for another cast. I released the fish and jogged up to the car.
Smile Fisherman Outdoor recreation Fish Recreation

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nicely done, do you mind sharing if which side of parmer this was on?
I've primarily fished the smaller west side, thats more like a creek. I've visited the other side and for whatever reason have been intimidated by the big lake.

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was about 10 miles east of Parmer, LOL. I was at Veterans Park.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was about 10 miles east of Parmer, LOL. I was at Veterans Park.
Cool, thanks! I'm always pumped to learn about new places to fish. I've been fishing on and off for 30+ years, never understood people being protective of a fishing spot. Even if I have a great day somewhere, I usually get skunked the next time in the exact same spot. Part of the fun for me is finding where they are on the current day, not worrying about having a very specific spot where I think a catch is guaranteed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts