Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a couple new spinning reels (I know, but I haven't learned the bait casters yet) and I have been out of the game for a while when buying fishing line. I plan on Senko's and other soft plastics, maybe a little topwater action being what I use them for. Seaguar Abrazx the best?

As for rods was thinking either Abu's Vengeance 7' or an Ugly Stick. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I wouldn't buy an Ugly Stick if you plan on using senkos. Not enough sensitivity. Go with a graphite rod. If you can learn to skip senkos under docks with your spinning outfit, you'll catch bass.

-SSJr

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Senko and topwater are different set ups. Floro sinks and would hamper you top water action. Spool up some 12 lbs trilene xl until you get your game back then get technique specific.

There are some quality used rods for sale on ABF in your budget.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Spinning + senkos and plastic + occasional topwater = 15 to 20 lb. braid. I use PowerPro Super 8 Slick in high-viz yellow.

Some will disagree, but I insist on tying fluoro leaders to my braid for plastics. 10 pound Seaguar Red Label has worked well, as has the more expensive Invizx.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I fish using spinning gear with smaller lures that are a pain to cast on a baitcaster. Fluke jrs, and senkos primarily, then also some spoons, and smaller trout/panfish type stuff too...

Spinning gear is great to learn on. like others have mentioned get good at skipping your baits across the top of the water so that you can sneak them under docks, or under trees hanging down into the water. Skipping is about a million times easier with spinning gear. The key is to get good at low angled side arm casting, then work to get good at skipping your bait just like a rock on the top of the water.

I personally have two different lines I use for spinning gear -- on my finesse type rod setups, I just use 8lb mono (stren easy cast to be precise). On my larger dropshot / finesse setup, I use 30lb braid with about a 3.5 foot fluoro leader. I suppose I could ditch the leader and throw a top water on that rod, but it wouldn't be my first choice...lol

anyway, good luck to ya, and my advice about bait casters -- get started on learning to fish with one. It is way easier than you might think (the key is having your break setup correctly)

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
There are 2 posts right now with rods and reels for sale at less than half price. I have a veritas 6'6" spinning rod you can try if you like. It's not for sale but you can get a feel for the rod and see if it is the right fit for you. I use 20 pound fluorocarbon on most of my rods(gamma) I use 15 mono on my topwater rod and 85 braid on my brute jig rod.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I use 20# seaguard red label as a 5' leader on my spinning rod with 20# power pro super slick. Works well for me, I just hate tying leader knots...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Same as michang5, 20lb Power Pro and 10lb Red Label fluoro leader. My setup is a Abu Cardinal STX and a Abu Veritas 7' M.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
855 Posts
Was surprised to see an hour ago that Academy St. John's had several spools of 10# and 20# Super 8 Slick in hi-viz yellow. $20/150yd spool.

I would recommend against the 10# unless you like wind knots.

As mentioned earlier in another thread, I prefer ordering the 15# from Walmart. I think it is about $30 for 300yds.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had my line spooled with 15# Invizx. Had a problem to the point I couldn't use the rods with line twist. Was it because my local kid at academy didn't spool it right?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Maybe, but you could eliminate that worry if you go with braid as your main line with a fluoro leader. I recommend Sunline Sniper FC as a fluoro leader, 12-15 lbs. It doesn't abraid as badly as Seaguar and when I do break off, it's due to a hastily-tied knot or just being lazy and not re-tying after hard usage. Sniper FC is more expensive than Seaguar, but if you use it as a leader, one 150 yd spool should last you at least a season, if not longer.

-SSJr

·
Registered
855 Posts
I had my line spooled with 15# Invizx. Had a problem to the point I couldn't use the rods with line twist. Was it because my local kid at academy didn't spool it right?
Yeah, 15# Invizx would be crazy for a spinning reel, unless it was one of those huge spool ones.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
#12 Trilene and you would not have had that issue. Cheap, castable, versatile. Throw anything in your Tacklebox and you only need to tie one knot.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Spinning + senkos and plastic + occasional topwater = 15 to 20 lb. braid.
This is the way to go, especially if you are going to focus on Senkos. Your casting distance and accuracy will be great and the braid floats, so it acts like a super-sensitive strike indicator. Even the most gentle inhale will send a twitch up the line. Use a 4-6ft flouro leader with a Bob Sands knot.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thanks Mike, will be there tomorrow evening! I have it on one of my two Revo Winches. Need it bad on a Lews spinning reel for that thick crap I pulled a football out of with Kev. I keep losing big fish digging into that crap with my finesse rod and ten pound tangerine suffix mono with Berkley pro grade floro leader. [email protected]&+#rs have broke my mono twice in the last months on big pigs.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Maybe, but you could eliminate that worry if you go with braid as your main line with a fluoro leader. I recommend Sunline Sniper FC as a fluoro leader, 12-15 lbs. It doesn't abraid as badly as Seaguar and when I do break off, it's due to a hastily-tied knot or just being lazy and not re-tying after hard usage. Sniper FC is more expensive than Seaguar, but if you use it as a leader, one 150 yd spool should last you at least a season, if not longer.

-SSJr
I am using this exact setup on my curado dhsv. Love it. Pricey for the sniper but well worth it. Great tip to share Super Spook.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Trilene big game 12-15 . Tough as hell and priced nicely. I have yanked fish out of reeds ,grass and even had a fish wrap around my trolling motor. I fish with a Plfuger Supreme spinning reel and a St Croix Mojo bass rod. Love that stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts