Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pretty much fish PowerPro 30# or 50# to a flouro leader, either 12# Trilene or 15# Seaguar. I've been joining them with a Uni-Uni knot, but today I happened upon this video about the smallest/strongest knot to join braid to leader. I watched it a few times and spent about a half hour practicing and then put it on some of my go-to rigs, which needed fresh leader anyway. It does make a noticeably smaller knot than my Uni-Uni, and more streamlined.

Once I figured out how to use my fingers and hold my mouth right, I was knotting them fairly easily, but I wasn't on a rocking boat. I'll come back later when I've tried it on the water. Here's the video link, he's got other knots as well as I think he's a saltwater guy primarily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSik3Jqs7M

·
Registered
125 Posts
Isn't that the crazy alberto knot? I could be wrong ...
If it is, I use this knot (looks like the same one in the video) religiously!

When I have a very short leader (like, mono->braid for topwaters) I admit, I use more wraps, but thats because it makes it stiffer. I don't mind if it bangs a guide or two but usually it will be only the first guide at most.
When I have a really long leader ... i.e. one that goes into the reel spool or longer than the length of the rod .. I go with the 5 wrap minimum. usually at that point tho, i add a small dab of super glue 'just in case' to keep the braid from slipping.

With the super glue, you can cut the flouro/mono tag end super short (makes it go thru the line guide easiest), as well as the braid ... but after a while, a braid tag end will just fray end thin over time.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No offense taken, burnet-b. Whatever the knot's called, I like it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matter of fact, I just read some of the comments left by viewers on the John Collins video, which I had not done when I first viewed it. Collins is basically called a thief and a fraud by some of those who commented. That's pretty harsh, but from now on I'll be calling it the "alberto knot." Albert Knie has his own FB vid on the knot, actually.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I practiced tying a few of these Albertos and they're a bit smaller than what I've been using, but the difference is small, so I'll stick with what I'm doing. I'm not sure what you call it, but I tie the leader around the braid with an overhand knot, tighten it, double-back the tag end of the leader, then wrap both leader strands with the braid and a UNI knot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts