Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use spinning tackle about 98% of the time. Have been using braid with fluorocarbon leader for 25 -30 years. When I started using this combination one of the most popular knots for joining the two was the plain old surgeons knot. The modern knots like the FG, Alberto, and Albright etc were not popular (maybe not invented). I still use the surgeons knot today. I don't believe it has ever failed on a fish. I pull it really tight and trim the leader close so it comes through the guides just fine. If I get hung and break it off it will fail at the knot about half the time. Today the FG seems to be most popular. Way too tedious for me to tie and research says this knot is for dissimilar line diameters. Small braid and heavy leader. Wondering what y'all use for braid to leader and if it's ever broken on a fish.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm also interested in this. I'm getting my first spool of braid this week. Been debating going straight braid of fluro leader. From what I've read so far I was going to try the FG knot if I go with a leader as it seems to be the most recommended.

·
Registered
368 Posts
FG knot is my go to. Pain to tie but there are some good you tube videos that show tips and tricks. Check out GMans FG knot video where he uses the reel to hold the line tight instead of using your teeth.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I almost alway have a braid to fluorocarbon leader set up on my rigs. I used to use a uni to uni knot but I think if failed from time to time and was a bit bulky. I tried the FG knot, but I find it too difficult to tie. I've been using the Alberto for the last couple of months and I am happy with performance and bulk. The YouTube videos are great but I like net knots for a quick visual reference-

JT

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
I have been using the FG knot for a couple years now but it is beginning to lose favor. I’ve had two FG knots come loose in as many months. I may have to go back to using the Alberto knot. I agree with Juan, there are lots of great knot videos on YouTube. I checked out the netknots link, that’s a great reference. I will share the link to my favorite knot video, posted by the man who invented the Alberto knot:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank y'all for the great feedback. The vids are good. They always use heavy leader for better visibility. When I try to tie an 8# leader to 10 lb braid it is much more difficult for me. I will test the Alberto. I like the part about clipping as close as you can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts